General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 17:17:48
Print Post

Line stats / speed

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently with Sky and have Fibre Unlimited which is connected and stable at a consistent:

39998kbps Down 9995kpbs Up

I had wanted to go with the Fibre Max product for a bit of additional speed and was told it wasn't available and have heard third hand that potentially Sky won't let you have their faster product unless they are certain it will support at least 65mbps Down.

I was hoping someone could either point me in the direction of a decent calculator or estimate for me the potentially attainable speeds with the following line stats:

Attentuation: 18.3db Down 0.0db Up (not sure if thats an error?)
Noise: 17.8 Down 10.10 Up

I'd like to understand if thats a decent looking line or whether i'm at / near the limit already so I can go back and discuss / argue with Sky smile

Also, are there any other reasons Sky wouldn't be able to provide me Fibre Max?

Thanks
Jonathan
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-17 17:21:32
Print Post

Re: Line stats / speed

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

Best guide is to use https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and your address

Attenuation suggests a 55 to 67 Mbps range

NOTE: Sky is fussy about sign-ups as they've shifted to average speed advertising, so putting people with slow speeds on the premium product be something they are reluctant to do these days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 06:52:29
Print Post

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

Sky will only offer Fibre Max if your guaranteed minimum speed is over 57.4 Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 15:59:04
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Sky will only offer Fibre Max if your guaranteed minimum speed is over 57.4 Mbps.

Wow, that's ... restrictive. Even if they only use they A range. That "guaranteed minium" means that 80% of people will be faster.

How much could the best of that 80% achieve? Well, here's an example...

My previous property was about 375m (line length) from the cabinet, and had attenuation of around 17dB IIRC.

The checker currently gives that line an A range estimate of 59-78, so that line would *only just* qualify for Sky's max service. That checker result means 20% of similar lines are getting faster than 78Mbps!

How did it actually behave?

We got service there when the cab was about 18 months old, so we weren't the first, fresh, crosstalk-free line. We easily achieved 80/20 speeds at first - with attainable speeds of 90Mbps at the beginning.

When we left the property after 3 years, crosstalk had gradually affected us, and the sync speed tended to be 78/20.

It looks like Sky's restriction could be keeping some people with 80/20 capability out of the service.
  Print Thread

Jump to