General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 21:38:21
Print Post

Any point ordering fttc with these speeds?

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I've been waiting for years for a faster broadband connection. I get about 7Mbps d / 0.9Mbps u on an adsl2+ line.

I am approximately 2 miles away from the cabinet which has been enabled for a few years now, however the cabinet is situated nearly right beside the exchange which makes it pretty pointless (I think) to get fttc.

Here's what the dsl checker shows for my phone number:
http://imgur.com/a/HkjQX

Here is the cabinet and here is the exchange:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.5216178,-6.2669...

.. and the modem stats
http://imgur.com/a/4TtcJ

i'm just wondering whether there is a point in ordering that fttc product with the hopes of getting a faster speed than advertised, and whether or not i'm being excluded from potential future rollout plans because it's showing that fttc is available on my line (i.e; are the govt / bt saying "he can order it, so forget about that area" - and also, if not, what potential technologies could be used in the future to increase speed?

Edited by jdowning640 (Mon 23-Jan-17 21:42:25)

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(regular) Mon 23-Jan-17 21:55:45
Print Post

Re: Any point ordering fttc with these speeds?

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

No, I would say there's no point as you'll get slower speeds and the connection is likely to be unstable as VDSL is more unstable over longer distances than ADSL.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-17 22:28:09
Print Post

At two miles no point in trying to order, particularly given the ADSL speeds you have.

On other long lines some are getting infill solutions, e.g. another VDSL2 cabinet built closer or in some cases FTTP. So while this has not happened to you yet, it might happen in the future, a lot depends on the priorities of the project in your area

As for technology, VDSL2 cabinet closer, FTTP, Long Reach VDSL (but needs adsl to be turned off), fixed wireless, 4G and the list goes on. The issue is not technology it is who pays for it, and with plenty of others to deal with who do you do first.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:01:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks William and MrSaffron for the replies smile

Are you able to check if NIAL has any FTTP at all? What would I be looking out for with fttp - can they use existing telegraph poles?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:09:30
Print Post

FTTP can be underground or use existing poles.

BT28 2HG the homes have native FTTP
BT28 2HJ is another one

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:20:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

that is really interesting, I never knew that. thought i spotted FTTC/P on a bt spreadsheet for NIAL and I didn't really believe it but the checker is showing that postcode as having availability. I'm going to take a drive tomorrow!

thanks for your help

Edited by jdowning640 (Tue 24-Jan-17 23:20:50)

Print Thread

Jump to