General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User summat
(member) Tue 24-Jan-17 17:54:40
Print Post

Bletchley FTTP outage

[link to this post]

I'm posting on behalf of a friend in Bletchely. His postcode is MK3 5GS.

He got home yesterday to find his FTTP was offline with LOS on his fibre ONT. Still nothing today.

He's been unable to find any info about the fault and the BT customer services can only tell him they know there's an issue but no details of where the issue is or what sort of timeframe for a fix there is.

As far as he can tell only some houses on his estate are offline, with others seemingly unaffected.

Does anyone have any idea where he may be able to find more info?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-17 22:00:07
Print Post

Re: Bletchley FTTP outage

[re: summat] [link to this post]

It would be BT customer services as those are the ones taking the profit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 24-Jan-17 22:02:21
Print Post

Fault in the fibre network probably. They often have problems fixing those on FTTP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 22:56:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by summat:
I'm posting on behalf of a friend in Bletchely. His postcode is MK3 5GS.

He got home yesterday to find his FTTP was offline with LOS on his fibre ONT. Still nothing today.

He's been unable to find any info about the fault and the BT customer services can only tell him they know there's an issue but no details of where the issue is or what sort of timeframe for a fix there is.

As far as he can tell only some houses on his estate are offline, with others seemingly unaffected.

Does anyone have any idea where he may be able to find more info?

Have you tried putting your friends land phone number in on this page to check for faults?
https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faul...

Also the reason about the other homes on their estate could be using a different fibre split at the splitter node and the parent fibre strand might have an issue with it, or if its a large estate it they might be using a completely different splitter node which is using completely different lot of fibre cables.

It could be routing issues, I have noticed BT having loads of those, so it might be that.

Has you friend had their phone line moved over to fibre (i.e. FVA) instead of leaving it on copper, if so does their phone line work?

I say its a routing issue within the BT network.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:11:46
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Have you tried putting your friends land phone number in on this page to check for faults?

Also the reason about the other homes on their estate could be using a different fibre split at the splitter node and the parent fibre strand might have an issue with it, or if its a large estate it they might be using a completely different splitter node which is using completely different lot of fibre cables.

It could be routing issues, I have noticed BT having loads of those, so it might be that.

Has you friend had their phone line moved over to fibre (i.e. FVA) instead of leaving it on copper, if so does their phone line work?

Paul

I've put the relevant bit in bold. LOS = Loss Of Signal. No light being seen at the ONT. It's a problem with the local fibre network or the port on the OLT serving them.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 23:23:23
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

I've put the relevant bit in bold. LOS = Loss Of Signal. No light being seen at the ONT. It's a problem with the local fibre network or the port on the OLT serving them.

Ohhh, my bad, I must pay more attention while reading posts.

*** update **
And I have done it once again, not even realising it wasn't the person that I replied to LOL.

I assume where they live on an estate there is no phone poles?
Also how many of their actual neighbours have no connection either?

It could be a faulty fibre from an AG Node or even at the Splitter Node.

Might even be an issue at their exchange.

Also what did BT site say when you entered your friends landline number into the Service Status?
I.e. in the section "Enter your telephone number to check service status in your local area" etc?

My guesses are its between them and their exchange due to the ONT hasn't connected up, that "should" always connect up even when an ISP service is down at the exchange, just means it won't get routed anywhere, granted the Smart Hub or what ever they have connected to the ONT won't connect up.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 24-Jan-17 23:24:54)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Wed 25-Jan-17 06:18:12
Print Post

Exchange: MILTON KEYNES
Date/Time Occurred: 23/01/2017 11:18
Customers Impacted: 32
Reason: Port down, task raised for engineer to investigate fibre cable issues.
Latest update: 24/01/2017 13:35

Edit: 9am update today shows the last update was last night at 18:51, still awaiting the engineer to investigate the fibre cable issues. I assume the delay is due to the limited number of engineers with the diagnostic fibre tool kit (it's a £5,000 piece of kit).

Edited by AndyHCZ (Wed 25-Jan-17 09:24:58)

Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 25-Jan-17 08:16:52
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

I expect it's bouncing around inside openreach trying to find someone willing and able to fault the fibre between the head end and the splitter. If the splitter is faulty they may have even more problems.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Wed 25-Jan-17 09:12:54
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Straightforward if they have an engineer in the area with an OTDR.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 25-Jan-17 09:30:55
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

They won't touch it if they haven't been trained on it, which are few. Even then it depends which part of openreach has the resources .

Edited by witchunt (Wed 25-Jan-17 10:35:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to