General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 14:04:13
Print Post

Long delay on FTTC upgrade WNTRU Cab 6

[link to this post]

Looking for some help from forum members with inside knowledge here. Ordered upgrade from ADSLMax to 80/20 FTTC on 21/11/2016 from PlusNet as it became available on the checker (Codelook says 22/11/16). Nothing has happened yet, after the order was placed the checker changed to available 10/01/2017 so something was wrong. PlusNet CSC have been chasing and referring to delay due to provision of Cable link, I don't think this means GEA Cablelink which is for LLU suppliers. BTwholesale have been putting back the review date constantly. The checker changed again on 10th Jan so I asked PlusNet to try ordering again but they still came back with this Cable link issue which they say involves exchange upgrade work with no estimated timescales. I posted on the PlusNet forum and one of the reps has taken ownership and been in contact with wholesale, the latest response is -

"The escalation owner at our suppliers has responded advising that a more widespread job to replace all cable links at the exchange is required.

This does mean that the job has been given greater priority due to the more widespread implications.

The work will need a road closure meaning permission is being sought from the local highways authority at the moment. Once this has been given a firm date for the upgrade work will be given along with what's been promised to me as an "improved delivery date"

The bit about an improved delivery date made me smile!

What is going on here? It is a small rural exchange ( about 700 lines) at Trumpet in Herefordshire, all the fibre infrastructure has been done through Fastershire BDUK project. I would be surprised if the fibre goes back to the local exchange, it is almost certain to go to a larger head end. All the previously enabled fibre cabinets are showing availability but something seems to have gone horribly wrong with this latest one Cab 6 ( an AIO installed Autumn last year) even though it is showing as available. Which should mean it has been commissioned and is connected to the BT network.

Can anyone tell me if there are any active FTTC connections on Cab 6? and any other clues as to what is causing this delay. Sorry about the long post!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:18:46
Print Post

Re: Long delay on FTTC upgrade WNTRU Cab 6

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

It does sound like rather wet responses from Plusnet, or should I say lacking in detail.

Roadworks suggests to me the main cables entering the exchange, whichever exchange that is of course. As you say.

A small point of information however. GEA cablelinks are required by all suppliers, not just LLU. In the case of your connection the "supplier" is BT Wholesale. Or looking at it another way, from the official Openreach point of view, BT Wholesale is also conceptually LLU.

I think by "improved delivery date" Plusnet mean an expedited order. They pay for it to be processed faster than normal.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:22:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it suggest that the service provider has not bough any GEA Cable link
which it needs to do - is this a former Market 1 exchnage

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:43:33
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

It still is a Market 1 exchange - BT Wholesale services only no LLU providers, yes I know BT Wholesale is effectively treated as LLU, but GEA cable links are between equipment in the exchange and do not go under the road as far as I am aware so I don't think that is a valid explanation.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Thu 26-Jan-17 15:49:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:50:02
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

The OP said other enable cabinets are showing available, where his isn't. He also suggests that the local exchange will not (ahh - I might have got it), will not be the headend exchange and I agreed with him.

The possibility of BT Wholesale not having a GEA link at the headend is extremely remote. AIUI the existence of a GEA cable link for BTW is what defines exchange FTTC/P availability.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:52:00
Print Post

"improved delivery date" my ****. I've been waiting over 8 weeks already!

I actually said all the fibre cabinets including mine are showing availability and I agree that for BT Wholesale not to have a GEA cablelink installed would be very unlikely.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Thu 26-Jan-17 15:58:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:52:09
Print Post

Cabinet was due 22nd Nov, but got delayed in terms of taking orders until 10th Jan,

Cable link wise the handover exchange is Hereford, so if there is cabling delays due to Trumpet then suggests the fibre backhaul from the cabinet to Hereford is having issues, but given BT Wholesale AND openreach now declare a simple available don't believe this is the case.

No obvious live FTTC users in the area of cabinet 6, there are people speed testing in the FTTP areas to the south of the exchange area and the FTTP just north of cab 6 area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Jan-17 15:55:31
Print Post

Right, while replying to Fastman it occurred to me that the fibre optic cable from your cabinet may go straight back to near to your small exchange, rather than being connected to an existing aggregation node.

That could require roadworks near the exchange to connect your cable wherever it ends to an aggregation node there or whatever the existing ones connect to, so as to continue to the headend exchange. Presumably there is a chamber of some kind, but your cable does not yet reach it.

(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:14:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that information, I thought that the headend exchange was probably Hereford. What is odd is that the checker is saying FTTC is available for Cab 6 but BT are unable to provision it. I doubt if many users have tried to get FTTC yet so it's not surprising that you can't see any speed tests. As you say there has been FTTP available in nearby areas for some time. Some lines to the north of Cab 6 can in theory get FTTC and FTTP if the cab was actually working.
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:26:44
Print Post

Yes it would seem that the fibre from the cab has not been connected up somewhere but the requirement to replace all the cable links at the exchange doesn't make much sense. The feedback from BT wholesale is lacking specific detail and they have not yet responded to queries from PlusNet about the road works. I fear this is going to be a long time getting resolved.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to