General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scorpiouk
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 16:29:53
Print Post

Are Openreach having me on?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Bit of a story and hope you guys might be able to validate what im been told regarding sycn speeds

New house, 300m from the Cab, according to BT im 410m from the cab.
Moved in and the line was running at 80/20 worked like this for around 3 months.
I have a new Mk3 filtered socket, no extensions, no phones, and just the router direct in to the master.

ISP is SSE

Over the next 3 months there has been some drops in power due to it been a new estate of 40 houses.

Line speed has been dropping.. Now reached around 57/20. This has been happening as the power has gone on and off to the site.

checking the dslchecker it shows the following:

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 65 20 20
VDSL Range B (Impacd)73.3 40 20 13.7

This fits nicely with what i saw for the first 3 months.

The IP profile of the line was 79.8
But now is 57.7

Today openreach have been out to look at the line, They are saying it all looks fine. According to their numbers i should be getting 40 - 60. When the line came in at 57 they were happy..

As a test, he walked to the cab, and tested it there. It was leaving the cab at 80/20, and the reduction seem to happen before it reaches me..

After reconnecting my line and walking back to the house it had risen to 60/20.. He could not explain the rise..

He said it could be as more noise has been added to the cable coming to the estate, and more customers coming on stream.

He said the "profile" is set to 80/20 FAST, and should be ok.
As the line has been reset, should I now try avoid any power drops in the supply to the router?
(reason for asking hes left the router plugged in to the wrong socket - Wife wont be happy)

Does all the above sound right?

Should i be happy with 60?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-17 16:37:57
Print Post

Re: Are Openreach having me on?

[re: scorpiouk] [link to this post]

If the router gets powered off due to a power cut (or because you powered it off) you should make sure it remains off for 30 minutes. This is to avoid DLM taking any action, which in your case means slowing your sync speed down.

If you don't do this and DLM slows you down, it takes ages (weeks) for DLM to speed you up again once the line is stable.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 26-Jan-17 16:58:35
Print Post

Any chance you have access to your modem stats?

I am just wondering if DLM has capped your downstream threshold (looks around 60Mbps based on the IP Profile).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:07:14
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Not likely if the engineer was getting 80/20 at the cab?
Standard User scorpiouk
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:11:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks..

I can do that... Just need to try recover my lost speed smile
Standard User scorpiouk
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:12:44
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

so it could be distance + noise?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:20:05
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Every line gets 80/20 at the cab...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:25:09
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Unless on a 55/10, 40/10 or 40/2 product of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:30:08
Print Post

There is crosstalk, i.e. the signal radiates from the other lines, so if you were the first to order then there was no cross talk which means excellent speeds, as demand increases and more people order the speed can and will drop off, Impossible to predict accurately without masses of information which is not available anyway.

The power cuts may not have helped, especially if the power blipped off/on/off rather than a clean off and clean on some time later. Best bet if you get a power cut is unplug modem, and a similar thing with expensive electronics as when power returns from power cuts it is a time when devices are more likely to die.

If the engineer got a sync of 80 at the cabinet then suggests the DLM systems have not banded your connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-17 17:31:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unless on a 55/10, 40/10 or 40/2 product of course.
or the port is faulty
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to