General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-17 15:50:46
Print Post

OR telling me FTTH is coming to my area?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have posted before regarding this but last time OR told me no plans, whereas SFSY say they're bringing fibre to my postcode.

Wondered if anyone could give me some information regarding this email I received from Openreach when asking about when fibre will be available in my area (Via the usual form)

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your email.

You are connected to Exchange MOSBOROUGH only line.

In response to your query regarding fibre availability, We would like to inform that, you are directly connected to an exchange MOSBOROUGH and not through a cabinet which is called (an exchange only or EO line) however this exchange is fibre enabled.

As you may know, we normally provide fibre via a green cabinet that you see by the road side. Unfortunately you fall into a small proportion of homes and businesses that are served directly by your local exchange, by what we call an ‘exchange only line’. This means that our normal way of connecting Superfast fibre you won’t work and we have to do a bit more work to bring you fibre. The plans are underway but it will take a bit longer than a standard upgrade. We apologise for not able to inform you the specific time scale.

Probably you will be getting fibre broadband directly from the exchange FTTH ( fibre to the home). Unlike FTTC where a fibre link is provided to the cabinet only, EO line provides a direct fibre link to the property and thus involves significantly more build work and longer timescales for this work to be completed.

Kind regards,
Deepika
Fibre Enquiries Team, Openreach

To me sounds like because of EO line, I will be getting FTTH at some point in the future (Of course, takes longer etc.) but there is no information regarding this on Openreach's 'Where and When' website. Perhaps this is fairly generic?

My postcode is S20 7LY if anyone has any up to date plans of this area and can let me know, and as stated in the email Mosborough exchange in Sheffield.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-17 17:04:38
Print Post

Re: OR telling me FTTH is coming to my area?

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

The most up to date plans should be those answering from Openreach

Some EO areas have been seen to get fibre to the premises so it is not too much of a shock

It may not be on the Where and When site because the work has not had its timeline defined yet, and even if it was there is always the 'subject to change' caveat that you need to apply to anything in the future.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-17 18:10:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The most up to date plans should be those answering from Openreach

Some EO areas have been seen to get fibre to the premises so it is not too much of a shock

It may not be on the Where and When site because the work has not had its timeline defined yet, and even if it was there is always the 'subject to change' caveat that you need to apply to anything in the future.

Yeah that's fair enough, I guess will just have to wait and see what happens, thanks again for your reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Fri 27-Jan-17 22:28:02
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

I was told by OR and BT regional managers that eventually FTTH would be coming to my house, but they wouldn't say how many years or even decades it would take, it's no big surprise AFAIK it is the plan that almost all homes will get it eventually.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Fri 27-Jan-17 22:37:24
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

It's a bit strange they randomly say it will be coming without any specifics.

There are weekly deployment reports showing the plans through 2019 for each area.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-17 23:44:29
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Kinds interested to know how they can have plans for 2019 when - models, ambitions and projections but firm plans is very different

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-17 23:46:06
Print Post

To add to the original poster, there is data indicating postcode is part of a BDUK plan, just no indication of the technology, so no surprise that Openreach may have now decided and is saying FTTP is on the way

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-17 00:10:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Plans will change a lot over the next few years.

I don't think anything is set in stone, other than contractual arrangements. There is a lot of areas which look set to see FTTP deployed this year (though only exchanges listed and not premises passed) under BDUK related work.
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-17 00:43:43
Print Post

It is weird though it's rare for specifics on EO lines, I guess due to the complexity.

Yep, Superfast South Yorkshire tell me they are bringing fibre to my postcode (It's the only postcode in the area without fibre!) just always found it strange that OR 'Where and When' always says 'Exploring solutions'. But I guess it's not unusual especially with it being BDUK work rather than OR's commercial rollout.

Lots of AIO cabs that replace EO lines have been popping up around the area but nothing near me.

Hopefully will see some updates soon.

Edited by tomse43 (Sat 28-Jan-17 00:58:23)

Standard User craski
(member) Sat 28-Jan-17 09:13:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
There are weekly deployment reports showing the plans through 2019 for each area.

It would be surprising if a project of this scale didnt have a plan, the frustrating aspect for consumers is the lack of visibility of that plan. Digital Scotland's communication of forward plans is terrible.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to