General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-17 11:06:12
Print Post

Moving house, same cabinet, now full??

[link to this post]

Hi

Following on from; This post

I am moving house by a few hundred metres. My new property is served by the same cabinet as my current / old house. The current ISP is plusnet and I wanted to move away from these. Taking into consideration replies on the last post I figured the easiest way was to take out a new service at the new property and lapse the old when the contract ends in March.

On Thursday I was double checking everything was ok (aaisp) before ordering but didn't order. I went to order Saturday and FTTC was no longer available in the list. I went onto BTisp website, entered my details and it said;

"BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

If I put my number into dslchecker.bt.com it says "available" but if I use the address lookup it says "waiting list". I struggle to believe that loads of old people (live in an old village with loooads of elderly types) have filled up the cabinet but there you go! Obviously I'm not hopeful of any extra capacity being added as being a tiny village the ADSL1 was on its knees for 18months+ before the FTTC went in at the same time as ADSL2.

http://i.imgur.com/rjmyNJW.png

I guess I need to revise my plan a bit.. What is the best way to ensure I don't lose my space on the cabinet? Move to new ISP at my old property then transfer services across to new property? - I was worried that even by doing it this way I'd lose my space?

Dan
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jan-17 11:42:23
Print Post

Re: Moving house, same cabinet, now full??

[re: agnits] [link to this post]

I have a feeling that by moving house you will lose your space on the cabinet no matter how you do it. Even just moving ISPs can leave people in this position without the added complication of moving address.

Hopefully they might add capacity quickly but it isn't something you can guarantee.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Mon 30-Jan-17 12:21:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

As the cab is actually full rather than out of capacity it could be a long wait until a port is freed up, or an even longer wait until another cabinet is added or the cab is expanded

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jan-17 13:54:31
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I believe you are correct.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Mon 30-Jan-17 17:46:38
Print Post

The address checker provides an accurate picture as to the capacity of the cabinet. A BT/Plusnet number check always shows available if you have a current FTTC service. It's worth checking daily though as free ports often became available on my full cabinet, before an additional cabinet was installed. I'm only aware of BT actually using the waiting list, though others may enlighten me to others who do. Plusnet no longer use the waiting list.
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-17 19:54:47
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

BLAAAART.

Having spoke to both AAisp and BTisp it definitely looks like its back to the world of ADSL for me.. Who could have thought that moving a service to a different address would be so complicated. Its like trying to itch your right ear with your left hand around the back of your head.

This address still says my cabinet is Accepting Orders... I guess it is just slow to update? https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...

Also if I go onto the BT Business site it will let me place an order for Infinity Plus?? Bit weird.

What is really annoying though is my cab serves 400~ properties and is a Huawei 96/128. Cabinet 1 which serves the next village is around 200 properties on a Huawei 288 /384. Both installed with BDUK money.

The only people I haven't spoke to yet are Plusnet but they can barely move phone lines without loss of service.

frown
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:08:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by agnits:
What is really annoying though is my cab serves 400~ properties and is a Huawei 96/128. Cabinet 1 which serves the next village is around 200 properties on a Huawei 288 /384. Both installed with BDUK money.

BT tended to use Huawei equipment for most of the BDUK projects, and my impression is that the 288 cabinet seems to have appeared more.

Perhaps they had adjusted their own expectations as to demand.
  Print Thread

Jump to