General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 30-Jan-17 21:30:37
Print Post

Openreach work causing issues for multiple lines

[link to this post]

I'm connected to PCP66 in Basingstoke. Last week, Openreach arrived to connect and commission a second VDSL2 cabinet.

During the works my previously stable line has bounced a nunber of times; sync has now dropped from 46/7 to 34/0.5Mbps. Quiet line test is perfect. I've heard from two neighbours suffering similar degradation. One neighbour lost dial tone for a day.

We've each raised faults to our ISPs, but I am really dissapointed that Openreach did not manage this installation better. I wonder how many of these faults are flowing through multiple tiers of support. Even a leaflet drop would have helped.

Can anyone recommend a contact at Openreach to get a status on the works and a confirmation if they will restore service to previous levels?

-==-
DougM
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 31-Jan-17 07:46:46
Print Post

Re: Openreach work causing issues for multiple lines

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Have they built a new PCP as well?
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 31-Jan-17 07:53:15
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

PCP66 was already two line cabinets. I cannot see any sign of them adding a third, but they have excavated and added about four chambers, so I suspect they're reorganizing line bundles alongside adding the second VDSL2 unit.

-==-
DougM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 31-Jan-17 08:13:21
Print Post

I think they are moving all the lines from the original PCP to a new PCP ( deload/reload) and this will probably account for the issues
Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-17 08:33:32
Print Post

I wonder if Openreach warn ISPs about such work and that there may be some disruption to service. They really ought to as the ISPs should be able to inform their customers about when this is scheduled to happen and what the implications may be. In terms of the drop-outs, then if connections and cables are being moved around, then a certain amount of that will be inevitable, but people should be informed.

As far as the drop in line speed is concerned, then that may be the reaction of DLM to the dropouts and, if so, the speed ought to recover over a few days.
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 31-Jan-17 18:42:07
Print Post

Plusnet has acknowledged a fault and raised it to Openreach. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

-==-
DougM
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-17 19:42:37
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

The EulerID

There is a system of planned work notices that ISPs 'get' but it requires someone (something) to look and this often doesn't get done. ( Part of BT's incident management system)

A notification affecting 10k upward customers is likely to be noted but one affecting 10s or less for an ISP are likely to be glossed over.

As there are a significant number of notifications there is some work for an ISP if they want to trawl though them.

To do it cost effectively they would need a software robot to strip out the service identities, mach them with their customer details then automatically e-mail their customers with some warning ( or just strip and reuse the OR text). Most ISPs do not spend the money on automation like this but just ignore the system ( it would only cost in for a big one or an efficient small one with in house data abilities).

It is not a big development but still would eat into the small profit margins on consumer BB.

I'm do not know if most ISPs even keep the OR identity in their own databasees as part of the customer details.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Feb-17 09:03:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
During the works my previously stable line has bounced a nunber of times; sync has now dropped from 46/7 to 34/0.5Mbps. Quiet line test is perfect. I've heard from two neighbours suffering similar degradation. One neighbour lost dial tone for a day.
Similar deal for me when a second cab was installed late last year. My line only bounced twice but I lost about 15Mb/s (from 67 to 52 I think). It recovered after a week or so though.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
  Print Thread

Jump to