General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spitfire400
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-17 14:12:23
Print Post

Virgin Media & the "Wayleave"

[link to this post]

I am posting to gauge if any members of the Forums have experienced this obstacle to getting Superfast services with Virgin Media. I am currently with Sky ISP on a 60Mb down and 20Mb up service with line rental.

Looking at switching to Virgin's 200Mb with no landline package, keeping my TV with Sky. I have my reasons for this, let's not debate them. Looked on the virgin media website today and states I am "part-serviceable" Called the number and told that they have to request permission for our local council to connect us to their network.

As part of project lightning, I would have thought that such an agreement would not be required. Other streets are already showing as "part-serviceable" and due to be getting connected from mid month onwards. Anyone know how long it might take for the council to agree that they can connect us up?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-17 14:16:15
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media & the "Wayleave"

[re: Spitfire400] [link to this post]

Part serviceable with what products? Just the mobile products I hope.

Project lightning would only need wayleave if rolled out in a street to cross a strip of land that is privately owned (and not by you) between your property and the street.

Virgin Media use code powers to deploy down the road/pavement, so no wayleave involved but there can be delays in that roll-out due to road works restrictions, and in which case the serviceable flag should not be saying you are serviceable for broadband.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spitfire400
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-17 14:28:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It states broadband & tv. If I weren't using my mobile just now I could screen dump. Our street is monoblock roadway, nearest parallel street 500 yards away and all tarmac. Built on council land, belonging fully to them. It is very strange to myself why they would block them lifting the monoblock to run coaxial from the cabinet at end of street entrance

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 14:33:41
Print Post

[re: Spitfire400] [link to this post]

This sounds more like they are having issues getting permission to build an MSAN. This is a separate cabinet that handles telephony for cable users. If there's an existing one it may be full.

It'll be phased out in the not too distant, mind you, as voice over cable becomes a thing.

That or someone has things completely wrong here. There is no need to deploy more duct, if they can get cable to you they should be able to get copper to you as it's attached to the same cable.

I suppose there's a possibility that they have no duct between you and the existing MSAN either.

I've had a previous screw up where they considered my address part serviceable, this was due to my living in a 'business' area and their not having reliable records, though that was for really old network.
  Print Thread

Jump to