General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bergulon
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-17 16:12:56
Print Post

Am I going to get FTTC? No one wants to say...

[link to this post]

FTTC is coming to my village very soon. I'm 1.3km from the cabinet and in a paler shaded area on the council project map, which translates as 'faster' rather than 'superfast' broadband. The darker 'superfast' area is within a radius of 1.25km from the cab. Everything suggests I might get 10-15Mbps, and that's OK with me.

Two weeks ago a neighbour saw an Openreach engineer with a clipboard making notes outside our houses. He said he was investigating the viability of FTTP connections. When I heard about this I questioned the OR postcode checker and sure enough, 'you are in our plans for FTTP'. I put in houses one by one getting nearer the cabinet and found a boundary 1km from it, inside which properties had the message 'connecting soon.'

I contacted the council project, who said they knew nothing of projected FTTP. I contacted OR, who didn't respond at all. So can anyone venture a guess as to what happens when the cabinet goes live? Is the OR message on the checker likely to change once they have an idea of the signal strength? Or once they have decided which houses will be eligible for FTTC is that final? Presumably unless the OR message for my house changes to 'accepting orders' I won't be able to approach an ISP, even though the lower speed I might get will be adequate as far as I'm concerned? Or have I misunderstood the way the process works? Any thoughts welcomed!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Feb-17 17:14:00
Print Post

Re: Am I going to get FTTC? No one wants to say...

[re: bergulon] [link to this post]

If they decide to supply FTTP where you are that would be perfect. Very rarely though do they mix FTTP and FTTC for addresses on the same cabinet.

So I would say little chance of FTTC unless they decide FTTP is not viable for your area. In which case a nearer cabinet might be provided. Are there a lot of houses involved?

If you do get FTTP, even if you have to wait a bit, that is far better of course.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bergulon
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-17 17:53:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So I would say little chance of FTTC unless they decide FTTP is not viable for your area. In which case a nearer cabinet might be provided. Are there a lot of houses involved?

If you do get FTTP, even if you have to wait a bit, that is far better of course.

There are about three addresses further away than me, and we would all get more than 8Mbps from the FTTC cabinet, so I'm unsure why they would go to the expense of FTTP unless there are political reasons - targets, quotas etc. If they really mean to only supply FTTC to houses within 1km of the cab that would mean around 40 waiting for FTTP.

Yes FTTP would be very nice, but two more years of 2Mb ADSL wouldn't! Is it normal for a community to be uncertain as to who will be getting what until after the cabinet goes live?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:07:41
Print Post

so whats yours exchange and cab then --
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:09:50
Print Post

If your wiring is via a cabinet that goes live you will likely gain the option to order VDSL2 at the lower speeds due to distance, but with targets to get to, sometimes infill happens to add FTTP option and thus tick a premise as superfast. This costs more but campaigners are fighting hard for more FTTP in your exact scenario

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:10:51
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

sourds like a errounous comment from a engineer !!
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:18:27
Print Post

Yet the Openreach checker shows FTTP in plan? Perhaps not
Standard User bergulon
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:27:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
so whats yours exchange and cab then --

Henley in Arden, cabinet 4
Standard User bergulon
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-17 18:44:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If your wiring is via a cabinet that goes live you will likely gain the option to order VDSL2 at the lower speeds due to distance, but with targets to get to, sometimes infill happens to add FTTP option and thus tick a premise as superfast. This costs more but campaigners are fighting hard for more FTTP in your exact scenario

Do you mean I may get reduced speed FTTC now and be offered FTTP in the future? That would definitely be my ideal scenario!

How would that work though, regarding the Openreach site? If I don't have a message saying 'available' but only 'in our plans for FTTP' when the cab is live, surely I won't be able to order?

Edited by bergulon (Sat 04-Feb-17 19:06:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Feb-17 20:54:48
Print Post

The openreach site is lacking some of the nuances on the mixed C & P areas, so the BT Wholesale checker is a better guide in those cases once the service is live

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to