General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asjonesmcguire
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-17 21:44:04
Print Post

Possible BT database error?

[link to this post]

Hi,
A friend has just contacted me to say that according to all the checkers they cannot get FTTC in our village.
The Greenlaw exchange (ESGRE) got both a PCP and FTTC cabinet in November and we were able to order FTTC from 30th December.

Every other person I have checked for - the checker says is connected to Cabnet 1, but my friends number doesn't say it's connected to any cabinet - suggesting BT thinks it is still an EO line.

The business next door to his house can order FTTC as can all his surrounding friends and neighbours.

Could someone check whether it is an error on the BT database?
[removed]

Thanks

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:01)

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sun 05-Feb-17 22:21:49
Print Post

Re: Possible BT database error?

[re: asjonesmcguire] [link to this post]

have you tried the address checker also? sometimes the address checker is correct and the phone number is incorrect.
It is however entirely possible that his line remains EO while his neighbours were moved to the new cabinet.
This appears to be the case with a number of local postcodes in the area, particularly the farms/farm cottages in postcodes TD10 6U(H/X).

Others here will be better placed to advise you, and may be able to find out if your friend is indeed connected to the new cabinet.
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-17 23:57:57
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah, a lot of the farms are quite some distance outside the village - and are lucky to get a stable ADSL connection - the majority of them are struggling to get a stable 0.5mbs. This property however is inside the village, and like I say the business next door to him along with his surrounding neighbours are all able to order FTTC. The postcode will be TD10 6XB and the DSL checker says "Postcode only checks will not return any result for fibre services (FTTP, FTTC:VDSL and G.fast)." but claims up to 16Mbs on ADSL. All the lines in this part of the village should have been routed through cabinet 1 (the only cabinet that exists).

EDIT: I've asked for the house number so I can check what happens when I enter the full address.

Edited by asjonesmcguire (Mon 06-Feb-17 00:02:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 06-Feb-17 00:32:40
Print Post

While I'm waiting for a response from my friend - I typed in the address Google Maps provides for the specific property "[removed], DUNS, TD10 6XB on Exchange GREENLAW is served by Cabinet 1" which says an FTTC service of up to 53.8Mbs is available. But that might not be the address because I can't tell from Google Maps how the number in that street run, but as you can see from the map - all these houses are on the same little road. Because it is the first house I've also checked "1 The Avenue" which results in the same information. According to Zoopla there are only 16 houses in The Avenue.

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:54)

(newbie) Mon 06-Feb-17 07:26:41
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

[removed], Greenlaw, TD10 6XB is the address and it says FTTC is available at cabinet 1, so the phone number database obviously doesn't match this result.

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 06-Feb-17 09:49:12)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 08:24:05
Print Post

Their ISP needs to contact Wholesale/Openreach and request the database be updated.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Mon 06-Feb-17 08:36:55
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Their ISP needs to contact Wholesale/Openreach and request the database be updated.

Unless their ISP is BT retail in which case their "Customer Care " dept will tell you that they are not allowed to request Openreach to correct the database and you have to contact Openreach direct.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 09:32:20
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

They can contact BT Wholesale who in turn can contact Openreach to check and update the database.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Feb-17 09:50:50
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

No reason why BT Consumer cannot pass on issues with the checker to its wholesaler, in the same way as other providers can, though based on the few I deal with each week it seems lots of providers fail in this area.

NOTE: Removed the number, address to avoid identifying people too much

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Mon 06-Feb-17 10:16:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No reason why BT Consumer cannot pass on issues with the checker to its wholesaler, in the same way as other providers can, though based on the few I deal with each week it seems lots of providers fail in this area.

NOTE: Removed the number, address to avoid identifying people too much

Thats what I thought but the woman (who was not in India) was insistent they could not and when I asked to speak to a manager was told one would call me back. Needless to say that did not happen.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to