General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-17 16:48:32
Print Post

Re: So what if you can't get Gfast ad are on ECI?

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
In reply to a post by kebabselector:
That said I'd suffer an old ECI cab if any are going free.

Yeah, when you look at it from the point of view of the final 5% (or whatever final percent is being used ATM), I'm sure plenty of them would be glad to get any sort of FTTC service, even if it was an ECI cab smile

Yes, I definitely would.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 09-Feb-17 20:05:28
Print Post

Re: So what if you can't get Gfast ad are on ECI?

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

you in a different business world to me then, as business I have worked for/with do just that. Although you dont necessarily need to be pumping out 1000s of units at an instant.

Anyway I am by no means demanding BT replace ECI units.

In fact I agree on the following point.

BT have no obligation to replace ECI units because as has been pointed out they serve the purpose they were introduced for which was supply an early pre vectoring generation of VDSL broadband.

However the same goes for ECI with their relation ship to BT, the people defending BT are blaming ECI, when I am simply saying ECI has fulfilled their contract with BT, I expect there was little to no future proofing in the contract, the rollout simply had to be done at a low cost as possible, and I will admit better a cheaply done rollout than no rollout at all, certainly having VDSL2 via ECI is a lot better than ADSL. smile

But its wrong to put the blame on ECI for the following.

Business decision been made to not upgrade to V41 units.
Decision made to not police the modem chipsets used on the openreach network.
Decision made to not communicate directly with end users for service feedback.

To answer to ian's question the answer is simple.

If ECI was the only chip used then we simply would have what is the case now on ECI but on the entire estate, so no g.inp, dodgy ipv6 issues and no vectoring. It would be fine as the original rollout didnt specify vectoring or .g.inp and CPs have worked round ipv6 issues for most part. Not a disaster by any means. However issues discovered may have been less of an impact as BT would have been able to focus their time on just one vendor and one configuration, staff training likely would also be better as a result. smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 09-Feb-17 20:09:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to