General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 22:57:24
Print Post

Fibre checker Clean vs Impacted

[link to this post]

I've had fibre since it was available at my exchange (4 years?) and originally could get nearly 80Mbit.

Since then my line had deteriorated which i put down to crosstalk.

I'm on a 55Mbit connection with a BT SmartHub max of 62854kbit/s which makes infinity 2 pretty pointless.

The checker shows my line is at the lower end of a "Range B" line (this is a phone number check)

Is there anything that can be done to make infinity2 worth an upgrade?

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 75.9 20 20 69.3 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 59.9 20 17.5 39.8

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 23:15:19
Print Post

Re: Fibre checker Clean vs Impacted

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

You'd probably meed to upgrade, then get an engineer.

Home checks first though, have you tried connecting to the test socket? Have you tried the quiet line test by dialling 17070?
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 18:28:23
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I've not tried the test socket recently, but there are no extensions and just a VDSL faceplate fitted by BT.

I'll give the quiet line test a go and see what it comes up with. The voice service is used so infrequently we'd never notice unless it was really obviously faulty.

I'm probably going to leave BT in the next 2 weeks (30 day get out clause available) so may go to an 80Mbit service with plusnet unless sky have a good deal on 40/10.

Kris

BT Infinity

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Fri 10-Feb-17 19:11:37
Print Post

i wouldnt go with plusnet, ive heard some pretty awful things about them, theyre just bt but cheaper, remember, cheaper doesnt mean better.

as for your speed. i used to be connected at 80/20 with a max attainable of 85/22 on bt.

new customers joined and my max dropped to 71, the checker still told me i was able to get 80, but it didnt update. it has now updated.

if your router is reporting your max attainable is 62, it is likely this is correct and its due to new customers.

im now with sky and my max attainable is 70/20 which was pretty much same as bt, however i have dlm on my case because of messing with my router, so im getting 60/20 until it decides to fix itself.

Edited by arronlowley (Fri 10-Feb-17 19:13:09)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 20:46:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
I've had fibre since it was available at my exchange (4 years?) and originally could get nearly 80Mbit.

4 years ago? That probably means it was an engineer-install. Not moved ISP since? Then range A ought to apply.

The "handback" column has the speed which BT will investigate a speed fault, so ought to apply.

However, being on just Infinity 1, and wanting to upgrade to Infinity 2, I don't know what they'd apply as minimum speed. Perhaps you should try an order to see.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 20:48:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
may go to an 80Mbit service with plusnet

They usually quote the A range speeds in an order, so could be worth trying their online forms, even if you don't complete it.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:20:04
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

I'm a regular switcher, looking for the best deal so I've been with plusnet a few times so I'm familiar with their reputation smile

Personally I never had a problem, the odd time a call took longer to answer agent was always 10x better than calling BT's call centre. (My employer has Indian call centres ans they're considerably better than BT so you get what you pay for when staffing a call centre)

I think im more likely to get plusnet to try and fix things vs BT.

Kris

BT Infinity
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:20:55
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It was engineer installed but I've switched a few times (every 12 months!)

Kris

BT Infinity
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:26:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Plusnet are quoting 75-80.

I need to sort my sky TV contract out (and switching to sky broadband is something I'd consider if I get a good TV deal) otherwise I'll sign up to plusnet I think.

Kris

BT Infinity
  Print Thread

Jump to