General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 08:43:15
Print Post

Migrating off MPF

[link to this post]

When migrating off an MPF connection, do you have to migrate both broadband and phone to the same supplier or is it possible to move them to separate suppliers.

For some of the ISPs I am looking at, it would be more cost effective for me to have my phone line elsewhere, but not sure whether I could do that at migration time or would have to move the phone line to the ISP I am migrating to and them move the the phone line after the first month.

When the time comes to make a decision, I'll speak to the ISPs directly, however it would be good to understand the art of the possible now.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Feb-17 09:28:12
Print Post

Re: Migrating off MPF

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Both are possible, but same supplier is a lot easier.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Feb-17 10:46:54
Print Post

Reference at least two of your other threads on separate questions, both uno and Aquiss will allow you to move just the broadband to them and leave the phone with Pulse8, then move your phone somewhere later if desired. However both also offer line rental at similar prices to Pulse8.

Uno is a slightly complicated or simple case, depending on how you look at it. If you definitely want to move off MPF you could simply move the broadband to one of their BTW WBC-based products then consider their WLR3 line rental later, or simply move both at once to the same WBC/WLR3 combination, or stay on TT Business Wholesale MPF with them.

The reason I say that is professor973's experience was that he had the same single thread problem on Pulse8 but did not have it on uno. Pulse8 use TTB backhaul and uno do not. It appears the TTB backhaul is where it lies.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:46:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Reference at least two of your other threads on separate questions, both uno and Aquiss will allow you to move just the broadband to them and leave the phone with Pulse8, then move your phone somewhere later if desired. However both also offer line rental at similar prices to Pulse8.

Uno is a slightly complicated or simple case, depending on how you look at it. If you definitely want to move off MPF you could simply move the broadband to one of their BTW WBC-based products then consider their WLR3 line rental later, or simply move both at once to the same WBC/WLR3 combination, or stay on TT Business Wholesale MPF with them.

The reason I say that is professor973's experience was that he had the same single thread problem on Pulse8 but did not have it on uno. Pulse8 use TTB backhaul and uno do not. It appears the TTB backhaul is where it lies.

I have no issues with using Uno's TTB backhaul option, other than that they still cannot provide a Fibre TTB MPF option. Their Talk Surf Fibre product is still 'Coming Soon' which is wearing a bit thin. wink

The reason I asked the question was because I wasn't sure that Pulse8 could unbundle me to allow me to keep my calls with them. My thought process was that I would have to migrate out to a non-LLU provider to separate the broadband and phone and then transfer the phone out if I chose to do so.

For the limited difference in call costs, I would probably migrate the phone line to Uno and possibly Aquiss. Much simpler to have everything in one place.

I'm also considering a possible return to IDNet or Zen and with Zen, it would definitely be more cost effective to go line only with them and to continue to use P8 for the calls, hence the question.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:53:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Both are possible, but same supplier is a lot easier.

Just realised from your and Bob's response that I could have worded the question better, as what I am really enquiring is whether I could keep my phone services with Pulse8, but migrate out the broadband or would I have to migrate out both and then return the phone line to Pulse8 if that is what I wanted to do.

Possibly a question for question for Pulse8, when the time is right.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Feb-17 12:10:50
Print Post

IIRC this is what professor973 did.

He was on Pulse8 FTTC and left his phone there when he migrated to AAISP.

frown I clearly didn't "Remember Correctly" frown.

Sorry folks.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Feb-17 18:38:19)

Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-17 12:22:54
Print Post

Sadly UNO can't migrate from TT MPF to their own TT based offering. I enquired about this myself recently.
What they can do, is switch the line back to BT with WLR3 for the line rental, and one of their BTw based fibre offerings.
£49 to take the line, and £54 to activate FTTC.

TT Business also can't take a TT MPF'ed line, and only offer to install an entirely new line, free of charge!

AAISP 80/20
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:05:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC this is what professor973 did.

He was on Pulse8 FTTC and left his phone there when he migrated to AAISP.

He jumped off fibre to ADSL, but I can't remember what he did with his phone connection. You may well be right.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:11:29
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
Sadly UNO can't migrate from TT MPF to their own TT based offering. I enquired about this myself recently.
What they can do, is switch the line back to BT with WLR3 for the line rental, and one of their BTw based fibre offerings.
£49 to take the line, and £54 to activate FTTC.

TT Business also can't take a TT MPF'ed line, and only offer to install an entirely new line, free of charge!

I wish I'd realised this at the time I migrated to Pulse8. I had assumed it was a simple migration to path to go to another TTB based ISP. Bit of an oversight.

With Uno are you limited to just their BTW products? Only asking as their site suggests I can go for their SMPF TT unlimited fibre product.

The TT Business thing I find absolutely amazing. I'm already on a fully TTB managed connection and logically it can only be a change of product codes and yet they insist on installing a new line for you.
Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-17 14:50:54
Print Post

If I put my AAISP TT MPF line number into Uno checker it offers me just their TT ADSL.
It was only when I called them that they said they can offer the above, but as a manual order.

Yep switching to TTB would literally be a change of login, no changes at the cab etc, yet they can't do it! Instead they cover the £145 cost and fttc activation for you! Crazy.

Yes just BTw with Uno from my TT MPF line.

AAISP 80/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to