General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User H10ELD
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 10:57:55
Print Post

LOSS OF DOWNLOAD SPEED AFTER OPENREACH VISIT

[link to this post]

I am looking for some advise please.
Due to poor download speeds on ADSL (SKY) and after 3 months they had not improved matters I intended to change to BT at the end of my contract which was end of January 2017.
I was getting 10 - 12 Mb daytime and as little as 1Mb in the evening.
Sky offered me an upgrade to FTTC free for 12 months with 35 - 40Mb download speeds
Naturally I accepted, nothing to loose, or so I though.
Sky sent me the dual band Q router/modem, although I don't have any Q boxes.
The fibre went live mid morning on 30th January, Router synced at 24862 kbps down and 6611 up.
Speed never dropped below 20Mb in the evenings, I was more than happy with that.
I received a follow up call from SKY on 31st January. The difference between the quoted speed they gave me and what I was getting was mentioned, although I did say that I was more than happy with the new speeds.
The advisor did say that the 24 Mb was well short of what I should get and after going through the various checks he said that he would schedule a Openreach visit to check everything out.
Openreach called on 2nd February, 11am. Everything checked out OK
I was surprised to be told by the engineer that it was impossible to get more than 25Mb download as the cabinet 300 metres from me was not fibre enabled. It was just a link to the the Fibre cabinet 3/4 mile away.
I was also told that SKY had asked for a download connecting target of 18Mb down and 4.9 Mb up.
and I was exceeding that by quite a bit.
Later on that afternoon my connection went down for some 20 minutes then came back on with the router now synced at 21858kbps down and 4911 Kbps up.
Evening (6 - 11pm) speeds have now dropped to below 5Mb and as low as 0.9 Mb. Whereas for 3 days and nights before the re-sync it was never below 20Mb.
SKY will not answer the questions of the request to Openreach for 18Mb down and why now speeds are worse than ADSL.
Their answer is that-everything is controlled by Openreach and there is no more they can do so " I can cancel contract and go elsewhere or revert to ADSL with no penalty"
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the long post
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:03:25
Print Post

Re: LOSS OF DOWNLOAD SPEED AFTER OPENREACH VISIT

[re: H10ELD] [link to this post]

You can find out the Openreach estimate for your line by putting your postcode in this DSL checker and selecting your address

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...
Standard User H10ELD
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:26:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks Batboy for the Link to Openreach.
Forgive me for being a bit ignorant on the technology side of the internet I'm a mid 70's surfer.
The checker shows VDSL speeds but not Fibre speeds.
I know that it is copper to the fibre cabinet some 3/4 mile away so is that classed as VDSL and will it take up to 10 days for the connection to stabilze

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:28:21
Print Post

VDSL2 is the technical name for the service, fibre is the marketing term.

The 10 days to stabilize just ignore that, urban myth

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:33:59
Print Post

The product they offers was probably their up to 38 Mbps service, but the speeds will be dependent on the distance to the fibre cabinet, which from your description is almost a mile away at the speeds the Openreach engineer is talking about are to be expected at that distance.

You should have been told on the phone or in a follow up letter a personalised speed estimate, if not insist on Sky telling you this - it is derived from the checker the other posters shared with you.

The drop from day time to evening speeds may be nothing to do with the connection and may be to do with how busy the service is in the area, have you looked at the connection speed information in the Sky Q Hub (modem).

As the monitoring systems adjust to try and ensure an error free connection, some of this is to slow you down and so some variation is to be expected.

The question to ask yourself, are the speeds letting you do more than you could with ADSL? And is it worth the money? If yes to both then stick with Sky, you probably won't find a cheaper deal than free (was this the unlimited or the 25GB package)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User H10ELD
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:11:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info Andrew.
It is Unlimited Fibre and the synced speeds on the SKY Hub never vary
Any idea why after Openreach visit my hub was re- synced to a lower speed which resulted in evening speeds being worse than ADSL when it ran for 3 days never below 20Mb in the evenings.
The bottom line is that the so called Upgrade to Fibre is no better than the previous ADSL packGE.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:59:30
Print Post

So what was the fastest estimate for your line - VDSL Range A ?
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:30:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by H10ELD:
I was also told that SKY had asked for a download connecting target of 18Mb down and 4.9 Mb up.
and I was exceeding that by quite a bit.
If the engineer told you that he/she shouldn't have. It's absolute nonsense. You will be on the "upto" 38mb package. Your line will connect as fast as it can "upto" that limit. Sky cannot ask for a random lower speed, and why would they.

There are "upto" 18mb packages, but I don't think Sky even sell these. It is also 100% physically impossible to connect above the package limit, so you're definitely on "upto" 38mb.

As for switching to a new ISP, the speed you connect at is also the same with any ISP selling the same package. It all uses the same copper wires to the same cabinet. If you switch ISP they don't even visit the cabinet, but rather "flick a switch" somewhere. The only difference between ISP's being the modem they provide.
Standard User H10ELD
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:47:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi Batboy the info you asked is as follows
The fastest speed for VDSL A is 48.4 Mbps
With VDSL B at 35 Mbps
So both of these speeds is way above what my router is set to.
Does that mean that Openreach are deliberately restricting non BT customers speeds.
Just had a text from SKY to say that they will call me between 7 and 8pm tonight, as much information I have to argue my case the better
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:50:16
Print Post

If BT were doing that, then it would be Openreach and so easy to prove that the court case would have destroyed the BT Group

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to