General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User the_biochemist
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:33
Print Post

2mb download speed on Sky Fibre Unlimited

[link to this post]

Hi

Just wondering what people make of the details below. sky say a line fault but the 17070 number seems to think everything is great. Had an issue where my phone dropped out completely 2 weeks ago but broadband worked. Openreach came and resolved that by replacing line from the pole to my property and left saying all of their part was fine.

My stats after 6 days since the work are (new sky filter in test socket using asus dsl-ac68u modem/router with newest firmware)...

DSL Information

DSL Firmware Version 1.0.3.9
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.2.4_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
DSL Link Status up
DSL Uptime 1 days 4 hours 25 minute(s) 27 seconds
DSL modulation ITU G.993.2(VDSL2), G.998.4(G.INP)
ANNEX Mode ANNEX A
DSL Exchange (DSLAM) Broadcom
Current Profile 17a

Line Stats

SNR (D/U) 32.5db / 38.6db
Line attenuation (D/U) 12.2db / 22.6db
Pathmode (both) FastPath
Interleave depth (both) 1
Data rate (D/U) 1997kbps / 798kbps
MAX rate (D/U) 21416kbps / 33299kbps
power (D/U) 6.7dbm / -4.8dbm
Inp (D/U) 45 symbols / 44 symbols
CRC (D/U) 0 / 0
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:19:49
Print Post

Re: 2mb download speed on Sky Fibre Unlimited

[re: the_biochemist] [link to this post]

The dsl-ac68u modem is said to be unstable. Did Sky provide you with a modem router that you can use instead?
Standard User the_biochemist
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:26:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I had the SR102 (the black one) on immediately after the line changes and that was pretty much the same around a 2.4mb down and maybe 1.1 up at a push. that is one of the reasons I switched in the asus to see more details around the connection and whether it was just a dodgy aging router.

irrespective of the routers deficiencies shouldn't DLM be trying to take the router to the target snr of 6ish? it doesn't seem to move from the low to mid 30s even through there are no crcs and no dropouts (apart from what I assume is the cabinet at around 5am every morning?)

Hope that helps. I could try the old router again?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:36:51
Print Post

The people fixing the phone line would not have triggered a DLM reset, so needs a fault raising on the broadband side so that someone will look into it, and then trigger a reset rather than waiting the many weeks the DLM may take to unband you (can't be sure but looks like banding to stop resyncs was applied when line was down to a single wire in the pair)

Banding is where the connection speed is limited to stabilise the line, and thus you sometimes will see lots of spare SNR margin rather than the usual 6.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:21:32
Print Post

Just in case, I suggest you change the ASUS setting to Annex B, which is the norm for GEA VDSL2. Though I think I have seen Annex A working, perhaps on Sky.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:28:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by the_biochemist:
I had the SR102 (the black one) on immediately after the line changes and that was pretty much the same around a 2.4mb down and maybe 1.1 up at a push. that is one of the reasons I switched in the asus to see more details around the connection and whether it was just a dodgy aging router.

irrespective of the routers deficiencies shouldn't DLM be trying to take the router to the target snr of 6ish? it doesn't seem to move from the low to mid 30s even through there are no crcs and no dropouts (apart from what I assume is the cabinet at around 5am every morning?)

Hope that helps. I could try the old router again?
The downstream 1997Kbps and extremely high noise margin suggest to me the line has been banded at 2Mbps downstream. That being the case it needs stability before DLM will relent and reduce the severity of the banding.

If setting to Annex B as I suggested in my previous post doesn't produce an improvement in 3-4 days I suggest that you do replace the ASUS with the SR102 then leave well alone for at least a month.

When the engineer worked on the line they should have requested a DLM reset frown. Whether that could be requested by Sky based on the fact the engineer omitted to do that is another question entirely, even if Sky support understand what you are saying.

Edit - Strikeout because the engineer was working on the PSTN not the broadband so wouldn't even know about the speed problem.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Feb-17 12:30:31)

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:04:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The Asus simply labels the line as Annex A incorrectly, no matter what settings you try.
It will also be incorrectly reporting Fastpath.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:05:36
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In which case the OP needs to put the Sky router back on ASAP smile.

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:15:45
Print Post

In all honesty my 1st piece of advice would be to ditch the Asus. The modem on it is terrible. It appears you have a max rate of 21mb but are only syncing at 2mb. That's why the SNR is up in the 30's.
The Upstream looks even more whacky. I've never seen an upstream max rate of 33mb when the downstream is only 21mb.

The line has probably been banded (limited) by DLM. Does it always sync at 1997kbps? The upstream power level also looks odd. Have you disabled UPBO? UPBO should ALWAYS be left enabled. It can cripple your neighbours connection.

Plug the Sky modem back in, and contact the ISP. Does the Sky modem provide any stats you could provide or do you have another modem?
My Asus DSL-AC68U is a very expensive paper weight. My advice would be get a refund if it is new. If not you could use it as a router by changing 1 of the LAN ports to a WAN port.
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:17:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In which case the OP needs to put the Sky router back on ASAP smile.
Absolutely agree. The mediatek chipset Asus modems really are atrocious.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to