General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:41:04
Print Post

Is this fttp?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

So I live about a couple of miles away from my cabinet and exchange so haven't had the ability to get FTTC for a few years now.

There is a new cable that has been put up on the telephone poles on my road and I'm wondering if it is the first sign of maybe FTTP? All I can see is what looks like the piece of equipment linked below and a cable dangling from all of the poles

This is in Northern Ireland. Sorry about the poor photos, I was just using the phone camera and the zoom is digital so not great

When looking at FTTP online, I usually see something like this (in my area, I can't spot this thick black cable with the yellow/orange stripe as of yet):

http://bit.ly/2lC8FsA

But what is up there looks something more like this, except maybe a smaller version?

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

Here are the real pics.
http://imgur.com/a/qTsFv

Edited by jdowning640 (Sat 11-Feb-17 17:42:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 18:50:31
Print Post

Re: Is this fttp?

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Connectorised fibre, i.e. quicker to deploy in theory. So probably none of the larger black tube with yellow stripe involved. The coiled able below the box with 8 to 12 connectors on it has the fibre in it already

So yes looks like that pole is going to serve FTTP to people

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:23:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Happy days. One other question for you if you don't mind - if/when I order FTTP, what if I wanted the point at where the cable comes into the property to be moved?.. It's a commercial property and the copper line is currently going into one detached building which is far away from the router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:31:14
Print Post

When you order it you will have to let the ISP know this so that they can put it in the order notes.
Also when the engineer arrives you will have to let them know as well just in case they didn't read the notes.

I told BT on the phone when ordering FTTP along with the first engineer external visit where I wanted it entering the home and they was happy to install it there.

But you need to be realistic on where it gets installed.

I was also able to choose the CSP external box colour as well, not too sure if they use the external CSP Box on the new FTTP installs that use those new connectorized hardware.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
(committed) Mon 13-Feb-17 21:25:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks to you and PaulKirby.

What is the piece of tied up cable for? What's the next step in the process?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 22:28:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Hi, thanks to you and PaulKirby.

What is the piece of tied up cable for? What's the next step in the process?

That looped cable is the ducting that carries the 12 fibres to the connectorized block, the other end will go down the pole into the chamber (BT Manhole) to what ever hardware they install down there.

At this point I am unsure if that connectorized block is replacing the DP or the Manifold or even both, maybe somebody can shed some light.

I think it was said on these forums, but it must of gone in one ear and out the other tongue

Paul

TBB Speedtest
(committed) Mon 13-Feb-17 22:40:10
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Gotcha.

It seems (according to this video @ 1:55) that it replaces the manifold. Might be wrong though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSB_3c_fm8
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 22:56:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Gotcha.

It seems (according to this video @ 1:55) that it replaces the manifold. Might be wrong though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSB_3c_fm8

That's the aggregation node and splitter nodes.

That connectorized block replaces the DP and the Manifold, I thought it did.

So that ducting (i.e. tubing) will go down the pole to the chamber by the phone pole and fibres will either already be there or it will be blown down the ducting to you splitter node.

That's different to how mine was done, mine came from the splitter node (100 to 128 fibres) to the first DP in the chamber where it took 12 fibres and passed the rest through to the next DP where it took 12 and so on.

With your there doesn't seem to be pass through, so there must be loads of ducting under ground, unless I am missing something.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 23:15:56
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The cable is likely to be Corning SST fibre cable, rather than ducting. It ought to route back to the splitter.

I think there are two options for the block itself
a) It is only a connector block.
In this case, it replaces the old manifold (and is located where the manifold would be) and the old splice-tray -based fibre DP.

b) It is a secondary splitter and connector block
In this case, it replaces manifold, fibre DP and the secondary splitter in a 2-level design.
There is an architecture diagram for this on
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/09/g-fast-and-fo...

It looks like the blocks are being called a DP in the NGA2 architecture.
(committed) Mon 13-Feb-17 23:32:23
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

interesting. thanks for your help everyone. i will ask one of the KN networks/openreach guys if i see them!

they're putting this up everywhere I go now in N. Ireland. It says on the northern ireland broadband site that my postcode is due to be completed by June 2017 so here is hoping!

Edited by jdowning640 (Mon 13-Feb-17 23:33:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to