General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:17:31
Print Post

What speed will my not too great line get?

[link to this post]

So i have paid £5 extra a month to uncap my line. I can withdraw from the new contract within 30 days if my line doesn't increase over 40meg. My ISP Sky have said it will hit 50meg max. Here are my stats i know the guys on here are a lot smarter.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39999 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.7 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 10.3 dB 6.6 dB

Ignore the 0.0db on line attenuation upstream it's a common Sky hub issue that it fails to show it. Nothing to do with my line.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:19:21
Print Post

Re: What speed will my not too great line get?

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

What estimate does www.dslchecker.bt.com give for your line?
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:24:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi, It seems since my line is with Sky it won't work accept with the address checker or postcode checker which it warns is less accurate.

address checker says.

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 47.9 35 10 6.8 32.4 Available -- -- Yes
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 38.5 22.2 9 5 16.5 Available -- -- Yes

Postcode checker doesn't even mention fibre however i am already using 40meg Fibre and it has been around this area a while now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:26:47
Print Post

There is literally 0 point in upgrading, stay on the 40/10 package, not worth the extra money for 7Mbps more.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:29:58
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
There is literally 0 point in upgrading, stay on the 40/10 package, not worth the extra money for 7Mbps more.

Not to me this house is very heavy usage any speed increase will help. If it increases by just 3-4meg or something i will switch back before the 30 days. If it increases to 47 or above I'll take it. Before i got fibre my line used to hang around 7-8meg on ADSL. Lived with that for years.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:31:43
Print Post

That's why the postcode checker is useless. Many postcodes are served by a few cabinets located around it and also covering neighbouring codes. That checker only reports the first in the database.

if you enter only the postcode into the address option and press "Submit" or whatever, you will get a dropdown of all addresses in the postcode.

If you click on each in turn you will see the cabinet numbers (on the line above the table) are not all the same and some like you will have VDSL2 available and others not. Usually but not always, all those on a common cabinet will be enabled. But sometimes a address on that cabinet will be too far from it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:34:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is a great answer for that checker but doesn't really help my question. Am i likely to hit close to 50 say 47+ with my stats or will i end up having to downgrade within the 30 days back to standard 40meg?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:41:00
Print Post

Well those are the estimates you have: 47.9-50 Mbps

All you can do is try it and see.

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 14-Feb-17 13:41:38)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:45:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks well heres for hoping to get 47+
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:52:19
Print Post

Given your attenuation you will certainly get a few Mbps, but how many only time will tell. Bear in mind that higher speeds result in higher error rates, which could cause DLM to mess about a bit.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 14-Feb-17 13:52:54)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to