General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Neiled
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:25:04
Print Post

Basic question from a total newbie

[link to this post]

Hi All

I've no idea on any of the technicalities of broadband and I just want to try and improve my speeds so I'm looking for some help and advise. I apologies for such a long winded opening post so feel free if anyone would like to offer advise/help by means of PM rather than post on here.

I'm currently with EE and get speeds of 10/1 at best but at peak demand times the speeds can drop as low as 1/0. Fibre Optic cable laying from our local exchange has been going on for the past few months and a new cabinet some 300m from our house was installed and fitted out last week and shows as detailed below, so my questions are:

1. Will the speeds increase from the 18/1.2 shown, if so, to what and how long will it take?
2. I'm currently with EE and get around 10/1 at best so do I need to ask them to put me on a super fast option or will this happen automatically?
3. Can I transfer to another ISP who can offer better speeds, if so any suggestions?

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 18 11.9 1.2 0.8 9.4 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 11.8 4.2 1.2 0.6 2.5 Available -- -- Yes --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available -- -- -- Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 3 to 8 Available -- -- -- Yes
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

I apologies if the information above is of no use so please let me know what other or additional info I can provide.

Edited by Neiled (Tue 14-Feb-17 17:28:14)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:30:39
Print Post

Re: Basic question from a total newbie

[re: Neiled] [link to this post]

What exchange are you on?

Likely an infill cabinet. Could be anything from 1-24 months from now.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:31:45
Print Post

Hi Neiled,

Welcome to the forum.

If you're getting 10/1 on ADSL, then I don't see the reason to upgrade to FTTC as the estimate shown there won't increase and is likely to decrease over time due to crosstalk. Also, the estimate suggests that you're a very long distance away from the cabinet (certainly not 300 m more like 2 miles).

If you do wish to order, you'll need to contact EE directly as you won't be upgraded automatically and changing ISP won't improve the speed you get from EE.

Hope this helps.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 14-Feb-17 17:37:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:32:14
Print Post

Hi, welcome to the boards.

The first observation is that based on the predicted speeds you have copied and pasted from the checker, you must be an awful lot further than 300m from the cabinet.

Can you describe what where and how all your telephony and broadband kit is currently connected please, and also are you able to get line statistics from your router ?

Standard User Neiled
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:39:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the swift replies.

The exchange is about 1.5 miles away but the new cabinet is at the entrance to our estate no more than 300m from our house. It was only put in and completed last week and I spoke to the engineers who said it was FTTC and would probably take a week or so to go live. He also said there were 200 connections??

Exchange details: Telephone Number 01978856*** on Exchange GRESFORD is served by Cabinet 10
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:42:02
Print Post

You'll just have to hope that your line gets rerouted from the current to the new cabinet.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 14-Feb-17 17:43:20)

Standard User Neiled
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:42:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Hi, welcome to the boards.

The first observation is that based on the predicted speeds you have copied and pasted from the checker, you must be an awful lot further than 300m from the cabinet.

Can you describe what where and how all your telephony and broadband kit is currently connected please, and also are you able to get line statistics from your router ?

Hi

I can provide as much detail as needed but unfortunately I'd need instruction on how to gather it.
Standard User Neiled
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:43:31
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
You'll just have to hope that your line gets rerouted from the current cabinet to the new one.

Can I ask for this to be done, if so who would I ask?
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:43:57
Print Post

What router do you have?
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:44:48
Print Post

It should be done automatically if it's an infill cabinet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to