General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 03:41:39
Print Post

Zen ADSL2/2+ to VDSL over BT Openreach FTTC upgrade query

[link to this post]

Hi,

A question on an upgrade from ADSL2/+ to FTTC.

Background:

I am planning to upgrade my Zen Broadband ADSL2/2+ service (on a BT provided line) to the "Zen Fibre 1" service, which will be provided via the BT Openreach FTTC service.

The existing router is a Linksys X3500 which is configured for multimode (MMODE) to sync at ADSL2/2+ modulation. This router is setup to use the usual ATM and PPPoA service from BT for ADSL2/2+. This Linksys X3500 router is not able to handle VDSL/2 technology.

I spoke to Zen Internet, and since I have an existing BT ADSL service, on an existing BT rented line, the upgrade to BT FTTC will be performed without an engineer's visit to the house. I am told the upgrade takes 10 to 12 working days. Hence I have no choice on the exact day the upgrade will be performed.

I have purchased a Linksys X6200 router, which has very similar functionality to the X3500, except it can handle VDSL/2 technology. I note that VDSL/2 uses PTM with PPPoE, and not ADSL's ATM with PPPoA.

Question:
When BT move the line from the BT exchange ADSL, to the FTTC VDSL service, will the existing Linksys X3500 router still work using BT's ADSL2/+ technology with the ATM and PPPoA settings?

(Since I am staying with Zen, all the other parameters in the router will be the same, except for these lower layers of the service.)

I ask this, since I am unlikely to be at home when the service is upgraded, and wish the other users of the Internet to have service until I am able to install and configure the new Linksys X6200 router that is able to use the new VDSL FTTC (configured with PTM and PPPoE) service.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Connection - Zen Unlimited Broadband ADSL2/2+ Sync 3300/1100kbps @ long piece of copper
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-17 03:48:46
Print Post

Re: Zen ADSL2/2+ to VDSL over BT Openreach FTTC upgrade quer

[re: cleeve555] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cleeve555:
Question:
When BT move the line from the BT exchange ADSL, to the FTTC VDSL service, will the existing Linksys X3500 router still work using BT's ADSL2/+ technology with the ATM and PPPoA settings?

No.

The FTTC cabinet includes a filter on the exchange-side of the line, blocking ADSL signals from the exchange.

Once your wiring is re-arranged at the PCP cabinet to go via the FTTC cabinet, you'll permanently lose contact with the exchange above audio frequencies.
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 05:05:03
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

And I would also guess the FTTC VDSL DSLAM doesn't operate at ADSL2/+ frequency bands (with ATM and PPPoA)?

So the FTTC DSLAM (looks like an Huawei DSLAM style cabinet) isn't configured / can't support ADSL?

Connection - Zen Unlimited Broadband ADSL2/2+ Sync 3300/1100kbps @ long piece of copper

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Thu 16-Feb-17 06:55:27
Print Post

That's correct. On the morning you are due to be upgraded you may be able to connect the VDSL2 modem that you intend on using. It will be compatible with both ADSL2+ and VDSL2.

Most VDSL2 modems can be setup as "Automatic xDSL Modulation" or something similar sounding. It is also possible to configure some VDSL2 modems in such a way that when the engineer connects your pair to the DSLAM the modem will handle the changeover automatically. This also automatically changes ATM to PTM as there is no ATM on VDSL2.
WAN settings can also be set to automatic rather than choosing between PPPoE/IPoE. I'm not 100% certain about any login info as I'm not familiar with Zens settings and what login info is required.

Perhaps someone here who currently uses or has used Zen for ADSL2+/VDSL2 could advise if the login info is the same for both.

Could you tell us which modem you have for FTTC? From that we should be able to tell if what I suggest above can be achieved or not.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 16-Feb-17 06:58:04)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 07:45:51
Print Post

The EE Brightbox 2 has a setting to distinguish automatically between Ethernet, ADSL and VDSL, so apparently could have been used for the last few days on ADSL and switched automatically to VDSL.

There was nothing with the BB2 to draw attention to this facility; and I don't know if it had been available on the BB1.

However, I was not aware of that setting whilst waiting for the upgrade to happen, so it was only after switching from the BB1 to the BB2 within about 3 minutes of the PCP work finishing that I did the physical swap.

I actually was at the PCP as the changes were being made.

Check your modem/s to see if a similar facility is available.
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 08:25:04
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks, I am unlikely to be around on the day of the change from ADSL to FTTC VDSL, hence the existing Linksys X3500 (ADSL only) will not function on the VDSL service.

This is what I suspected, the other users of the service will just have to wait for me to configure the new Linksys X6200 router which has the VDSL modem inbuilt.

Standard User sidef
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 08:28:59
Print Post

Set up your new router with the existing ATM/PPPoA settings together with Zen password and IP address.

Also set up the new router with a PTM/PPPoE service, you should get these settings from Zen. The ones for their current router are here, but should work with any router.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG...

On FTTC, password, IP address remain the same as on ADSL.

Once your order goes through, Zen will tell you what day the switchover will occur, but it could be anytime during that day.

Work at the cabinet to re-jumper your line to FTTC will drop the ADSL connection and as soon as FTTC is connected, the router will switch over to PTM. Once PTM is running, the router will drop the connection a couple of times in the first minutes as it optimises itself with the cabinet, but it should literally all happen in less than 5 minutes.
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 08:37:18
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

The existing Linksys X3500 does not support VDSL, hence cannot be configured to use VDSL automatically. I will not be around prior, or on the day of the change to VDSL hence cannot swap to the X6200 (does support ADSL and VDSL) prior to the move to VDSL.

Your suggestion is a good one, the Linksys X6200 looks like it can be configured to multimode (ADSL and VDSL) frequencies, but there is hard config for PTM or ATM, and PPPoE or PPPoA settings. Hence I suspect the X6200 will not automatically swap between the ADSL and VDSL service on BT Openreach FTTC.

The Internet users will just need to suffer a few days of no Internet, prior to me being able to configure and install the Linksys X6200

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-17 08:40:09
Print Post

Or you set up the new VDSL router with the correct settings, leave it unplugged, and when the ADSL drops on connection day, have someone swap the DSL cable and any Ethernet cables over to the new router and power it up.
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 09:09:13
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Indeed, another option, if I can do this prior to the upgrade. Thanks.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to