General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 18:43:35
Print Post

FTTC Modem connection to NTE5 Master vs Extension query.

[link to this post]

I'd be grateful for any feedback as I'm considering altering my internet/network setup. In particular I'm interested if there are any of the old concerns that could plague adsl modem connections when connected to extension BT sockets?

I've just upgraded my PN FTTH from 40/2 to 80/20 and in both cases my modem profile has matched those figures ie the advertised maximum. Currently I have my Router/Modem in the room where it's connected to an NTE5 which BT changed on their own accord after an engineer callout in regard to a voice fault a few years back.

However the location where Router/Modem placement would be physically more suitable is served by a contract type BT socket which was installed by the builders and the same as the type the NTE5 replaced, but is the slave socket.
I assume it is still preferable to connect the modem to the master BT socket, but is it such an issue as it was with some adsl setups? I would estimate the distance between the NTE5 Master to the Contract BT Slave socket to be around 10 metres.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 16-Feb-17 21:55:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-17 18:59:42
Print Post

Re: FTTH Modem connection to NTE5 Master vs Extension query.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Do you mean FTTC confused
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 19:06:19
Print Post

Assuming you mean FTTC, I would try both sockets and see what speed you get. If the master socket has a filtered faceplate, you would need to circumvent that to use the extension socket.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Thu 16-Feb-17 20:32:08
Print Post

If you want to extend the VDSL2 signal past the master socket to a different socket then you can use the A+B IDC connectors situated at the top left of the faceplate. This should send the broadband unfiltered to the next socket.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:21:04
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

But the OP needs to be wary of the physical wire quality between the master and extension. Builders' electricians are well known for installing the cheap burglar alarm type cabling they have in their vans.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 56203/14254Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:28:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
In particular I'm interested if there are any of the old concerns that could plague adsl modem connections when connected to extension BT sockets?
Again, as the others have asked/said, do you mean FTTC, or is it really FTTH?

If it is FTTC, what reaches your house is VDSL2, which is far more sensitive to distance and wiring quality than ADSL2+ is.

If you really do want the modem elsewhere you need to install some CAT5 or CAT6 cable between the two points. Does your current NTE5 have a filtered faceplate or do you use a dangly filter? You may need a (bulky) faceplate fitting for the ideal connection at that end, see the picture on this page. That has the A/B IDC connectors that have been mentioned.

The extension end should connect fine to replace the existing wires.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 56203/14254Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 16-Feb-17 21:28:36)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:33:52
Print Post

Re: FTTC Modem connection to NTE5 Master vs Extension query.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Sorry Guys I thought I mentioned I was on FTTC and had just upgraded my Plusnet Fibre package from 40/2 to 80/20.

As I had increased my Fibre Speed and was considering a different setup/placement of my Modem I was curious as to the likelyhood of different sync speeds between using the Master BT NTE5 and the correctly connected from that by a BT engineer Contract Make BT type socket that serves as my slave/extension socket in another room (which approx adds another 10metres to line length).

I only mentioned about ADSL vs Extension sockets as that setup featured highly on these forums some years ago in discussions and how line sync and therefore speed could be negatively impacted on extension/slave/second sockets etc

Of couse trial and error is the best way to go, but I was interested in finding out if using any other BT socket other than the Master was really asking for problems? Or if it Didn't really feature that much these days in respect to FTTH as it once did (or still does) with adsl setups?

EDIT: Apologies guys, my mistake it is of course FTTC. My fault completely - think it was as I was reading another thread on the other type of Fibre.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 16-Feb-17 21:56:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:39:59
Print Post

Your Subject and your opening post both say FTTH. Fibre to the Home = FTTP.

Re the cabling, see my post that will have appeared while you were drafting the one I'm replying to now.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 16-Feb-17 21:40:21)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:41:40
Print Post

Do you have a phone plugged into the extension socket?
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 21:54:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Vorlon:
In particular I'm interested if there are any of the old concerns that could plague adsl modem connections when connected to extension BT sockets?
Again, as the others have asked/said, do you mean FTTC, or is it really FTTH?

If it is FTTC, what reaches your house is VDSL2, which is far more sensitive to distance and wiring quality than ADSL2+ is.

If you really do want the modem elsewhere you need to install some CAT5 or CAT6 cable between the two points. Does your current NTE5 have a filtered faceplate or do you use a dangly filter? You may need a (bulky) faceplate fitting for the ideal connection at that end, see the picture on this page. That has the A/B IDC connectors that have been mentioned.

The extension end should connect fine to replace the existing wires.

Yes as per my previous post I couldn't initially see my mistake it is FTTC.

I think you've answered my question, however when it comes to the cable run, BT wiring comes into my block of flats via a riser with dozens of lines as it used to be a commercial property. From there it seems the cabling used as you say could be any quality and I don't know for sure other than it's a multi-core cable what size it is etc.
So in theory this "Builders" cable already runs for around 30/40 metres before it hits my Master NTE5. The BT chap fitted that replacing the original generic type BT socket and connected up the slave wiring within it. That then takes on another 10metres or so run to it hits the generic Slave BT socket in the other room.

The Modem syncs at 80 - 20 now and speed tests take me to around 78Mbps, but thats with connection to the master NTE5 socket.

The only other downside is the flats are made within a previously open plan multi floor office type setup and their structure instead of using wood studwork is made up of a metal framework which does affect signals and no doubt could affect adjacent data carrying wiring.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 16-Feb-17 21:56:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to