General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-17 17:28:29
Print Post

Am I closer to fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

My deadline is end of March this year, and I have been closely looking at roadworks. Recently BT cleared debris from an underground duct. And now this message appears further along the road.

"Excavation of jointbay for the installation cable carriageway".

This is being done by an electrical company, but am I closer to fibre?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Feb-17 18:15:45
Print Post

Re: Am I closer to fibre?

[re: cjdavid] [link to this post]

May be associated with getting power to the cabinet, or someone building a property that needs an electric supply

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Sun 19-Feb-17 00:54:19
Print Post

If you enter your address on the Openreach Home and Work site, how far along the fibre journey are you?

And when you do an address search at dslchecker.bt.com (enter postcode, then select your address from the list), what are you told about pending fibre availability?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Feb-17 01:03:29
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by olicuk:
And when you do an address search at dslchecker.bt.com (enter postcode, then select your address from the list), what are you told about pending fibre availability?
Uh uh!

Somebody not already knowing about that and how to use it would go to the unreliable Postcode option and what you describe doesn't happen. The poster needs to go to the Address option and only enter the postcode. Or of course, simply enter the address on that page.

Not only that, but importantly the first line under the table on a pure postcode result is
Postcode only checks will not return any result for fibre services (FTTP, FTTC:VDSL and G.fast).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-17 09:25:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry only saw your response. My fibre journey is on the 'connect' when I enter my phone number or my postcode.
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-17 09:28:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And my deadline is 31st March on the dsl checker smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Feb-17 09:58:52
Print Post

See MrSaffron's reply, though I agree with you it is encouraging. However quarter-end dates like that are always very suspect. They tend to be place-holders merely indicating the cabinet is still in the plans.

They almost always go forward by one or several quarters during the week before that date. On the other hand, they may change to a more particular date, or even disappear completely. The disappearance nearly always means that the actual "Available" data will appear within 2-3 days smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to