General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Feb-17 01:06:10
Print Post

BT Wholesale estimator

[link to this post]

Somebody there has woken up. The Postcode-only option now only reports on ADSLx. The first line under the table is
Postcode only checks will not return any result for fibre services (FTTP, FTTC:VDSL and G.fast).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Feb-17 01:24:00
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale estimator

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Somebody there has woken up. The Postcode-only option now only reports on ADSLx. The first line under the table is
Postcode only checks will not return any result for fibre services (FTTP, FTTC:VDSL and G.fast).

Its always been like that, just that they never said anything about what it didn't show.

Or am I missing something?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Feb-17 10:01:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

That line under the table is new, and as I remember it the table previously showed the first result returned by the database query if there were several for the postcode. That result included the GEA values.

Since we discovered that we have always advised people against using it if they don't have a recognised phone number. Some had been going straight to it, to avoid the fuss of entering a full address. Before we discovered the drop-down list in the Address option on which you based your auto-lookup.

An auto-lookup that is against the Terms of Use linked to on the entry pages wink.

I note also that the intermediate page en route to the Postcode entry page now also explains fully why it is often inaccurate, which it used not to. They are saying it is a central point in the entered postcode, not the first result as I used to think. (As above).

I only discovered the intermediate page enhancement just now, but the main change I found when drafting this reply on another thread. How long ago these changes were made I don't know, but they were certainly not present at the time the drop-down on the Address option was found.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Feb-17 15:56:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That line under the table is new, and as I remember it the table previously showed the first result returned by the database query if there were several for the postcode. That result included the GEA values.

Since we discovered that we have always advised people against using it if they don't have a recognised phone number. Some had been going straight to it, to avoid the fuss of entering a full address. Before we discovered the drop-down list in the Address option on which you based your auto-lookup.

An auto-lookup that is against the Terms of Use linked to on the entry pages wink.

I note also that the intermediate page en route to the Postcode entry page now also explains fully why it is often inaccurate, which it used not to. They are saying it is a central point in the entered postcode, not the first result as I used to think. (As above).

I only discovered the intermediate page enhancement just now, but the main change I found when drafting this reply on another thread. How long ago these changes were made I don't know, but they were certainly not present at the time the drop-down on the Address option was found.

Well that postcode look up has never worked for me and still doesn't show fibre, I makes sense due to not everyone on a cabinet will be able to get fibre if its supporting a large area, so in my eyes its a waste of time having that option on there and just stick with the Address and Phone Number checkers.

As for my COUGH auto-lookup COUGH, funny enough it still works lol, but yeah its against their T&C and it become a pain having to re-connect to get a new IP due to them blocking the last one tongue

Also due to some postcodes only linking to a single address the DSL Checker never showed an address to check, so I had to use the BTOR Where and When page to get the required address information (full address along with the NAD Key and District ID) and add that to my database, then BTOR decided to try and stop me there my adding Tokens, but after about 30 mins I was back up and running LOL

As for when they added that change to the dsl checker, I know when I did all my checks it used to flag me when they changed their version due to they have a version field that is also sent along with the full address or with the NADKey and DistrictID in the POST request.

So that new information / disclaimer would of been added after I had stopped doing the checks.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User gerarda
(member) Sun 19-Feb-17 16:37:30
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I think it was changed in October.November last year.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Feb-17 18:21:15
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gerarda:
I think it was changed in October.November last year.

Possibly, I gave up doing checks a couple of months before then due to all the blocking of the IP's.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to