General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marcusjclifford
(committed) Mon 20-Feb-17 20:49:11
Print Post

FTTP / FTTH ISPs

[link to this post]

Hi All,
In September / October this year my parents will be moving into a new build house. They have had all the meetings and it has been confirmed that the houses will have FTTH connections, with the fibre coming right into the understairs cupboard.

My question is around choosing an ISP for them.
Is there an up-to-date list of ISPs that will offer a connection on FTTH?

I asked PlusNet (my ISP for FTTC) and they said there was a trial but you need to be an existing customer first and I should order ADSL and then request to be on the trial, but nothing was certain and I may not be accepted.

I am aware of the BT offerings i.e. Infinity 4, but would rather avoid BT Retail.

I have seen lists of ISPs offering, but most lists are from 2013 or so and don't seem to have been updated.

My main requirements are unlimited usage and reliability. I would rather not have the "snooping" on my like that BT Retail (and the "big" ISPs) do as a matter of course, for no reason other than I disagree with it.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Aquiss Home 30
On Exchange ESSTC - via edinbugh-ipsc
Speedtouch 585v6 on BT Filtered Faceplate
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:13:50
Print Post

Re: FTTP / FTTH ISPs

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

BT, AAISP and Zen.

You wish to avoid BT but they tend to be the cheapest.

You don't have to take Infinity 4, you can still take their lower tier Infinity 1 (55/10) and Infinity 2 (80/20) services on FTTP.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:20:42
Print Post

IDNet will supply FTTP, but no details on their website- if you go here and scroll down it's below the prices for ADSL packages.

I assume you'd need to call them.

eta- Oops- http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4531368-ftt... blush

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Mon 20-Feb-17 21:36:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User georgelnx
(member) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:28:22
Print Post

Marcus

Are you sure that the property will have BTW FTTP?
Some developers have installed FTTP not using the BTW network so the homeowner has no choice of ISP but must use the one who installed FTTP for the developer.

As Lee says the choice for reasonable money and unlimited data is small. Basically BT Consumer, Zen, Plusnet (but trial only and must be ADSL customer). AAISP is not unlimited.

Also will the new property have a copper phone line or is it totally FTTP? If no copper phone line then your parents will need to use either VOIP or if with BT - FVA - (Voice Access over Fibre)

List of all ISPs on Openreach website for FTTP
https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadb...

Edited by georgelnx (Mon 20-Feb-17 21:36:32)

Standard User georgelnx
(member) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:33:29
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

IDNet prices https://www.idnet.net/data_products/broadband_prices...

Terabyte Packages (1000GB Download Allowance)

FTTP Only

A phone line is not required for FTTP services.

FTTP 40/10 £48.60/Month

FTTP 80/20 £66.60/Month

FTTP 220/20 £96.60/Month

FTTP 330/30 £120.60/Month

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:36:04
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
BT, AAISP and Zen.

You wish to avoid BT but they tend to be the cheapest.

You don't have to take Infinity 4, you can still take their lower tier Infinity 1 (55/10) and Infinity 2 (80/20) services on FTTP.

Agreed, they just need to work out the minimum speed that they would be happy with and the price for that service, if at a later date and its just not enough on what they chose back then, just phone the ISP and upgrade to the next one up, they might even get a better deal.

Like you said there is 3 providers that support FTTP for the home, however there are 8 providers if it was to be a business connection.

As for the OP avoiding BT, while I have to admit we have had loads of issues while being with BT, they do however resolve the issue faster when you make a complaint to the right people at BT.

So overall even though I have had problems with BT I would still give them an 7-8 out of 10 and they are not that bad.

Saying that, if we didn't go with BT I would of gone with Zen due to we had absolutely no issues when we had ADSL via them before my brother took Zen with him when he moved out.

Sadly Zen prices are on the steep side when you increase in speed.

But at the end of the day its all down to who the OP parents choose.

I myself is happy with my service that I receive at the moment from BT, maybe this will change later on down the line (BAD PUN)

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 20-Feb-17 21:37:02
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Missed that, thanks.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Mon 20-Feb-17 21:45:07)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Feb-17 22:14:51
Print Post

An FTTP connection should be more reliable than a DSL one, so you might not have to contact the likes of BT Retail very often should you decide to use them.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Feb-17 22:18:51
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
Marcus

Are you sure that the property will have BTW FTTP?
Some developers have installed FTTP not using the BTW network so the homeowner has no choice of ISP but must use the one who installed FTTP for the developer.
A good, and important question.

A builder who has installed the infrastructure specified by for FTTP by Openreach in a large document is in my opinion unlikely to have told the customer or their selling agent if different that it will have FTTH.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-17 23:38:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
An FTTP connection should be more reliable than a DSL one, so you might not have to contact the likes of BT Retail very often should you decide to use them.

This is true, since FTTP was installed here and it went live, the only time I have had to contact BT was when I thought I was being capped.

But it turns out the Smart Hub had been up and running for about a month and had a hissy fit and dropped the Link Speed on Ethernet Port 1 that connects to my LAN from 1Gbit to 100Mbit the rest of my LAN was still 1Gbit apart from the one port, so it was easily missed.

Its a shame I realised that 15 mins before the engineer turned up, I did every other checks and tests known to man, even the FTTH Faults team at BT thought there was a fault, hence the engineer booking.

But that has been the only time I had to contact BT since the install.

So overall I think they are ok.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to