General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jalzoo
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-17 12:40:43
Print Post

Variations in latency

[link to this post]

Hello,

Looking at some BQM's around the forums i notice that people's latencies varies alot even with the same ISP some people are getting 10ms others 18ms some over 20. What causes the variation?. I'm new to FTTC, I have moved from virgin due to big time over congestion in my area. I'm due to go live tomorrow with fttc and i don't know a how lot about the technology.

As i'm a gamer the lower the latency the better.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Feb-17 12:45:58
Print Post

Re: Variations in latency

[re: jalzoo] [link to this post]

Geography is a big reason

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20... part of the latest article on http://blog.thinkbroadband.com shows the difference in TCP latency based on where you are in the UK in relation to our location in London

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 15:19:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by jalzoo:
Hello,

Looking at some BQM's around the forums i notice that people's latencies varies alot even with the same ISP some people are getting 10ms others 18ms some over 20. What causes the variation?. I'm new to FTTC, I have moved from virgin due to big time over congestion in my area. I'm due to go live tomorrow with fttc and i don't know a how lot about the technology.

As i'm a gamer the lower the latency the better.
Your location in relation to the location to the gaming or other servers as mentioned already, then there is how you happen to get routed to the ISP's peering points /data centre's and onto their network (if they have their own) as well as the connection itself as it is subject to DLM which is always running, and should your connection breach the error rate threshold during any 24hr period DLM may add interleave (which will increase latency) by 7-8ms to start with , this may alternate every 2-3 weeks with Fastpath, or you may be connected to a Huawei FTTC cab as have a G.inp compatible modem/router and dlm may then apply G.inp wich has the advantage of not noticeably increasing the base latency

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 23-Feb-17 15:20:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jalzoo
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-17 17:22:27
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

What causes errors on your line?.
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-17 17:53:29
Print Post

there are lots of variables when it comes to line errors, they can be caused by noise on the line caused by things like broken dvd players, faulty street lights etc.

they can also be caused by weather like thunder.

if you look at my ping monitor below, you will see the massive packet loss spike, where my internet didnt actually go down, but i reckon it was due to the weather.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e63794658f7...

on fttc youre likely to see between 8-20ms if your line is good. anything over would probably mean youre on interleave.

Edited by arronlowley (Thu 23-Feb-17 17:56:18)

Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:29:44
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
there are lots of variables when it comes to line errors, they can be caused by noise on the line caused by things like broken dvd players, faulty street lights etc.

they can also be caused by weather like thunder.

if you look at my ping monitor below, you will see the massive packet loss spike, where my internet didnt actually go down, but i reckon it was due to the weather.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e63794658f7...

on fttc youre likely to see between 8-20ms if your line is good. anything over would probably mean youre on interleave.

I think it was actually an issue with the BQM service, all three of my monitors show the exact same red spike.
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:35:00
Print Post

ahh ok.
  Print Thread

Jump to