General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TygerTyger2010
(learned) Fri 24-Feb-17 07:10:15
Print Post

How long is the timescale of the March 3-5db SNR rollout ?

[link to this post]

How long is the 3db SNR rollout from March expected to take ? Is it a few weeks or months for a nationwide rollout? I'd love to regain the 5Mbits of sync I've lost. So I was just wondering how long until my cab might switch to the 3-5db target. I currently get:

"Stats recorded 24 Feb 2017 06:30:26

DSLAM/MSAN type: BDCM
Modem/router firmware: Not reported
DSL mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Uptime: 16 days, 8:07:08
Resyncs: 0 (since 22 Feb 2017 15:54:24)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 14.8 5.9
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 35582 7195
SNR margin (dB): 6.2 6.0
Power (dBm): 13.9 7.4
Interleave depth: 8 0
INP: 48.00 0
G.INP: Enabled

RSCorr/RS (%):
SUnCorr/RS (%):

ES/hour:"

Just nattering on here, but:

I used to get a 39998/7999 stable sync for a long time. Then the DLM decided 34/35 downstream was where it was at. So I lost about 500Kbytes/sec of speed. The problem is a 150m loop of copper which goes out to the pole then runs back to the manhole outside my window about 14 feet away.

Any trouble about the neighbourhood is almost always at the pole with the various properties all around me. I've had an engineer change the pair after water ingress dropped me to 11Mbit sync and an unusable voice line. If I was connected from the NTE to the manhole by the shortest route I would probably get a 50-60 Mbit sync. When I tried 80/20 I got 51Mbit sync for 3 days, then it dropped back. I'm about 450m straight from the manhole to the cabinet.

VDSL Range Down A high: 63.6 low 49 Up High 17.3 low 11.5
Range Down B high: 51 Low 32.5 Up High 14.3 Low 7

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 08:40:01
Print Post

Re: How long is the timescale of the March 3-5db SNR rollout

[re: TygerTyger2010] [link to this post]

Sorry to be a doom-monger, but I don't think there is any chance of your line getting a lower noise margin with those figures and history. Not until the fault is fixed. Even your upstream is affected.

You are still getting a high level of noise, or your noise margin would be well above 6.2dB now. Can you get any error stats?

(I assume you have a typo and meant a loss of 4500Kbps).

Given the way the system works, the failure to reach to 40Mbps sync is hugely significant, and even only reaching 51Mbps on 80/20 is very disappointing.

It might be a silly question, but are you absolutely sure there are no internal wiring issues as well as the external problem? FTTC is very sensitive to that, much more so than ADSLx is.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:13:56
Print Post

It would be so much easier to understand if you stayed with convention and referred to the speeds in kbps and Mbps (kilo and Mega bits per second) and did not randomly throw in Bytes per second.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 24-Feb-17 09:19:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:18:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

wink What are liko bits per second? smile

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:25:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Your reply beat my correcting edit ... and for some reason "liko" was not flagged as a spelling mistake!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:31:26
Print Post

I think the OP's mistake is also a double typo and means bits. Bytes would mean 3200Kbps which would make no sense in the context. 4500Kbps fits perfectly.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:39:07
Print Post

Its a trial, so no-one can say if or how long a nationwide roll-out would be. Or as I've been busy on stats have I missed some announcement from Openreach about a nationwide roll-out

If trial leads to more moans about instability I suspect it might be end of game

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:15:43
Print Post

I have Asperger's Syndrome. My mind thinks in mysterious ways. I tend to meander in my thought processes and express things in unconventional ways. I also tend to assume a degree of telepathic intuition on the part of others. Heh!

I'm also a bit tired and slightly hypomanic this morning.

I Hope that explains things a little smile

What I actually meant to express was that my longterm median download speeds had dropped from c. 4.2-4.4 Megabytes per second, to c. 3.5-3.8 Megabytes per second.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:22:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by TygerTyger2010:
I also tend to assume a degree of telepathic intuition on the part of others.

I think the majority of us suffer with that one, I know I do.

(learned) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:39:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You are still getting a high level of noise, or your noise margin would be well above 6.2dB now. Can you get any error stats?

It might be a silly question, but are you absolutely sure there are no internal wiring issues as well as the external problem? FTTC is very sensitive to that, much more so than ADSLx is.

The internal wiring is straightforward. There is a splice in the loft as the previous tenants before I moved in in 2009 had the NTE in the middle of the loft floor, with a plugin extension to the phone below. The outside wire had been cut off where it exits under the roof line. The house had been empty for a few years. BTO repaired it and ran the line to a new NTE beside the computer, and a new wire spliced on the outside running to the pole.

I first had fibre in May 2015, 40/10. I regraded to 80/20 on Dec. 31st 2015. It jumped between 46/48 and 51 Mbits. Stable throughput, but with a lot of ES/hour. It went back to 40 and then a couple of months later decided to drop to 35. It has stayed there ever since, with occasional jumps to 34 every few weeks. A router reset always brings it back to 35. I downgraded to save £3 a month since I wasn't getting any higher sync speed than that.

Average error rates over a 24 hour period:

24 hours starting 23 Feb 2017 13:36:56

Per second Per minute Per hour Per day

CRC Up 0 0.05 3.09 74.3
Down 0 0 0 0

FEC Up 0 0.14 8.46 203
Down 0.07 4.07 244 5863

HEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0 0 0

ES Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0 0 0

SES Up 0 0 0 0