General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ChannelZ
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 18:55:44
Print Post

New VDSL install, bad uplink attenuation

[link to this post]

Folks,

Just got VDSL installed at the MIL's house, mainly so we can keep an eye on her via the CCTV system.

The service is BT's 52Mb service, as they were the only ones who would supply to her house as she's out in the sticks.

I've replaced the ancient 1985 master socket with a new Mk4 socket..

http://tinypic.com/r/24qj04h/9

What do you think? What's up with the uplink line attenuation?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:15:26
Print Post

Re: New VDSL install, bad uplink attenuation

[re: ChannelZ] [link to this post]

You mean you have replaced the complete socket assembly, connecting the new one to the bare wires that arrive at it through the wall?

If so, the first suspect is that reconnection. What were the attenuation figures previously? We need to be able to compare them.

Incidentally, over 100 ISPs could supply your MIL with broadband. It is basically provided by BT Wholesale. BT Consumer (the retail ISP) simply sell that service with some addons, like all the others. It's only Sky, TalkTalk and its resellers, and Vodafone that can't supply.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:18:08
Print Post

What router are you using?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ChannelZ
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:25:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, complete socket. The stats were basically the same before I replaced the socket. I replaced it thinking the old master was probably knackered, due to a few lightning strikes over the years.
Standard User ChannelZ
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:26:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

TPLink VR400. I have the same router at home and it runs very well, giving a full 80/20.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:33:03
Print Post

What make cabinet are you connected to, and what make your MIL?
Find out here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:40:18
Print Post

You mean the VDSL2 went in before you did the replacement?

That leaves us with the router question, and are there any extension sockets whether used or not, and is the router connecting into the master with just the short DSL cable or a plug-in extension cable?

Has the master socket ever been moved?

What were the attenuations like on ADSLx? In fact the full stats.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ChannelZ
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 19:53:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

VDSL was the initial install, ADSL was only available at 512k speeds which is pointless. The VDSL was running for a few weeks with similar stats on the old master.

The router is plugged directly in to the master, there are no extensions at all, and the socket is as installed in 1985.

I can't check which cabinet it's connected to, as BT's site is down. But, as far as I remember it's off the Benburb exchange. Line is approx 5km (SamKnows says 4.88km).

There is a buzz on the line (and has been for years).
Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-17 20:10:48
Print Post

Those attenuation statistics looks ridiculously high, even though it's clearly a long line. Have you got access to a different type of router/modem to see if you get the same results? It may just be a misreporting of the attenuation (bugs in that area aren't unknown), but even then the downstream is low.

I'd guess from the figures that the line length is around the 1.2km region. If so, I would have expected that 4-5mbps would have been possible.

nb. what speed does the BT Wholesale checker estimate?

Edited by TheEulerID (Tue 28-Feb-17 20:13:04)

Standard User ChannelZ
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 20:14:42
Print Post

Finally found it, it's on Benburb P1, which is Huawei.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to