General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Superdave
(regular) Wed 01-Mar-17 19:44:10
Print Post

Moving home query

[link to this post]

Hoping for some advice concerning upcoming house move, I'm with Plusnet FTTC.

I'm moving into a house which already has fibre and a landline, we want to keep the existing telephone number at the house we're moving into, not my number here.

Having spoken to Plusnet and advised them of our forthcoming move, they have advised me to instruct the present occupiers not to do anything as regards cancelling their existing Broadband and Line, they are not with Plusnet.

Plusnet have told me that they will automatically just take over the line on the appointed date and that the current ISP will inform the present occupiers of the takeover and that their contract will be cancelled.

They have also stated that if the present line is ceased, it will cause problems.

I would have thought that the present occupiers should notify their ISP that they will no longer require broadband and landline, they are moving abroad.

Grateful for any advice.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 01-Mar-17 20:30:19
Print Post

Re: Moving home query

[re: Superdave] [link to this post]

Plusnet are correct.

They will notify the current ISP that you want to statt service there. This will prompt them to contact the current owner advising of this.

If the current occupier cancels their service. This will generate a cease and you won't be able to place an order until that cease completes, which would add considerable time to the process of you getting service.
Standard User Superdave
(regular) Wed 01-Mar-17 20:43:48
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, very much appreciated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Mar-17 20:48:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
This will generate a cease and you won't be able to place an order until that cease completes

You won't be able to keep the phone number either. However, if I were in the shoes of the person moving abroad I would be pretty weary of relying on the other party to ensure that my contract were cancelled.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66999/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Mar-17 21:04:29
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Accepting all that has been said, I would add the OP should try to engage one of the reps on the Community Forums for one specific purpose.

That is - to retain the existing number at the premises.

Knowing Plusnet "follow the next instruction on the script" ordering procedures, it needs one of the forum reps to ensure that in this case a note is (metaphorically) written on that script. I think the provisioning team could cope, but the message may not get to them through the standard routes.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 01-Mar-17 21:21:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

You're not relying on the other party. Your ISP would contact you to let you know your services are being taken over/your account stopped. It's common practice during home moves but so often the person leaving the property messes it up be cancelling their service before notification of the take over.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Mar-17 22:06:02
Print Post

As demonstrated by the cancellation of the TalkTalk broadband service, where everything stops until that is recorded as completed. No further order can be placed.

Orders cannot be queued, other than via a Simultaneous Provide. (SIM Provide).

If I were leaving a premises I would happily not cease the line, knowing it is to be taken over. As it seems has happened here. I would most certainly cancel my (other provider) broadband, which cannot be taken over. We know this scenario has happened.

Entirely to be expected and no reason to panic. But the retention of the number very definitely needs to be kept very much in mind by Plusnet, as I previously posted.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 01-Mar-17 22:11:11)

Print Thread

Jump to