General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sterneregnix
(newbie) Thu 02-Mar-17 13:23:56
Print Post

Bizzare Situation - Advice Appreciated

[link to this post]

Hello, I would be grateful for advice on my current broadband situation. I live in a quiet suburb of Aberdeen and have enjoyed decent regular broadband with Sky for the 4 years I've been living here. Last year I started checking with Sam Knows and Digital Scotland as to when fibre would be available in my street. My exchange had been offering fibre to various cabinets in the area but our one remained on the list to be upgraded. Last month I noticed that it had become available (about a week before the alert was sent out from Digital Scotland) and decided to go with EE as I get a discount being a mobile customer. They said I would be connected in a week and I would only see an interruption in service during the changeover from Sky. The day goes past and nothing happens, no connection. So I called and was told there had a been a problem but it would be fixed within a few days, I wait and nothing happens so I call again and was told that there was no copper wire in the cabinet (bizarre) but rest assured that by the following Monday I would be back online. The Monday comes and goes and no fibre broadband. This time when I call the support person, who then calls BT, and tells me that the problem is that there is no copper wire going from the cabinet to my house. I ask how is that possible as I have a working landline and have been connected to Sky's broadband for years. He gets back on the phone to BT who inform him that they will look into it and get back to us (which will take a week and half). How can this be happening? Either I have a copper line to the cabinet or I don't?

Edited by sterneregnix (Thu 02-Mar-17 13:31:10)

(newbie) Thu 02-Mar-17 13:30:50
Print Post

Re: Bizzare Situation - Advice Appreciated

[re: sterneregnix] [link to this post]

The cabinet is 32 on the ABERDEEN WEST Exchange. It's now showing as "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now" on the Openreach site.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 80 20 20 80 Waiting list -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 69 20 17.6 40 Waiting list

Is it possible that everyone served by that cabinet was so desperate to upgrade to fibre that they were deluged with requests the moment it became live? If so why wouldn't BT just tell EE that there is a waiting list and not to disconnect anyone until the capacity was available? No internet for weeks (only my phones hotspot which my Fire TV devices won't connect to) is driving my family mad.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 02-Mar-17 14:01:28
Print Post

What may be the issue is that they need to add some additional "tie pairs" which are copper cables that link the fibre cab with the existing pcp. Would explain why there's "no copper".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Mar-17 14:21:30
Print Post

The people telling you the issue have managed to confuse things, the fact cabinet is now showing in waiting state suggests something has run out in terms of capacity (if it was a failure as first customers went live cabinet often disappears from showing VDSL2 at all).

Sounds like demand has been such that more copper pairs linking the VDSL2 cabinet and the old cabinet are needed. So you do have copper line, but only to the usual street cabinet and no capacity to the fibre cabinet.

Short term solution, provider provision you on ADSL2+ until more capacity arrives, doing this is sensible if the time scale is unknown as it can be a number of weeks or months for things to change on capacity issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 02-Mar-17 14:42:05
Print Post

You may want to try and get EE to implement a standard ADSL connection on your line until the FTTC capacity issue is addressed. I would not ask them to restore the Sky service as you might be forced into a long contract.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Thu 02-Mar-17 14:56:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, that makes better sense. If the problem isn't fixed by the review date I'll have to get them to put me back onto ADSL2+. Hopefully it won't take too long.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Thu 02-Mar-17 15:17:35
Print Post

I'd suggest the cab was marked ready for service in error and it's not completed yet
  Print Thread

Jump to