General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyN13
(newbie) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:32:51
Print Post

Virgin Media Latency

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I've had the broadband quality monitor going since last night, (not long I know) but in the 9ish hours it's been going, it seems to me that there's a lot of spikes in latency. Would someone have a look and see what they think please?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f612b61ec91...

I'm using a TP-LINK Archer C9 router and the Virgin media 'superhub' 3 in modem mode. Also of note in case it has any effect on the monitor - I've got two 1080p HD CCTV cameras uploading 24/7. Apparently combined they upload around 700-800Gb per month.

Even with them running, I get good speed; usually around 200mbps up/20mbps down.

Thanks.

Andy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:37:17
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Latency

[re: AndyN13] [link to this post]

The upload may well be impacting latency, along with the jitter down to superhub 3 CPU and jitter due to what other users are doing.

If green area rises things are real bad.
If blue area rises its not good either but not as bad a green rise
Yellow, annoying but most people don't notice and given the upload activity from the cameras you are not a gamer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:37:59
Print Post

There was something posted about this on these boards the other day, but I can't seem to find it at present.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyN13
(newbie) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:38:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for that smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:38:44
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7656-speed-proble...

Found it.

Standard User AndyN13
(newbie) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:39:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Was it the news article about VM latency increasing during certain times? I've seen that. The monitor hasn't been running long enough yet to see if that particular problem effects me, but I'll see this evening.
Standard User AndyN13
(newbie) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:40:51
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks. I've seen that one. I'll see this evening if that particular problem hits me. I'm thinking more about the general huge amount of variation/yellow spikes on the monitor.
  Print Thread

Jump to