General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rondullage
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:20:32
Print Post

Decent download speed; devices not responding

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and, although I know a bit about computers and the like, I am not particularly up on the terminology of the internet so, layman's terms please wherever possible.

I have been with TalkTalk for some years now and until recently the broadband was copper. I was getting about 7Mbs. Our TV/broadband/landline package contract was coming to an end recently and TalkTalk made me an offer that I couldn't refuse which included upgrading to fibre, which we did.

Now, here is my problem. We are currently getting 35/40Mbs on various speed checkers. The problem is that the devices in our home don't seems to understand this and seem to be responding no quicker than they were using copper and in some cases even slower. A good example of this would be the TV. I was recently recording a film on our YouView box over the internet. My wife and daughter decided that they wanted to watch a programme On Demand. The YouView box had all sorts of problems with this and was constantly buffering. Surely at 36/37Mbs this should be sufficient to handle these two things? There may have been a smartphone using the internet at the same time but that would have been about it.

Has anyone got any ideas please as I am currently thinking about scrapping the fibre and going back to copper?

Hoping that someone can help me out.

Regards,

Ron.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:22:27
Print Post

Re: Decent download speed; devices not responding

[re: rondullage] [link to this post]

Tried a factory reset on the router?

Failing that I'd try a different router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:26:19
Print Post

Is the YouView box connected to the TalkTalk router?

Can you post a link to the speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest sometimes the numbers can be good but hidden away in the data is an indication of a problem.

You should be able to just about manage 4 or 5 HD streams even if you had a 15 Mbps connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rondullage
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 10:00:36
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Hi lee111s,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

As I explained earlier, as I am getting speeds of 35Mbs(ish) using wireless does that not mean that the router is working adequately?

Sorry if I am being a bit naive but I am not terribly knowledgeable about these things!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Mar-17 10:06:58
Print Post

The wireless speeds suggests the connection itself is behaving fine, how is the YouView box connected to the TalkTalk router

If using powerline plugs this can sometimes be a bottle neck

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rondullage
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 10:52:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Mr Saffron,

Thanks for your reply.

YouView box is connected "wirelessly" to the router through a powerline plug!

Where is the data that you are suggesting that I post to the speed test forum? I have been using www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk but I can't see any data. Is it hidden away on this site or am I better using another checker?

Thanks again,

Ron.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 13:00:55
Print Post

Try connecting direct with Ethernet, without powerlines.

Wireless and powerlines can cause problems on their own. Combining the two is asking for trouble.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Mar-17 13:35:03
Print Post

Combining wireless and powerline may be the problem, as suggested use an Ethernet checker.

The tester you linked to does sometimes overstate results for some devices, we run our at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

So not hidden, just part of the main site rather than the use forums.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:46:06
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I can't understand how they cause problems. We have 2 for our BT TV...
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:49:30
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

You don't understand how electrical current can affect data signals?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to