General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Mar-17 01:05:18
Print Post

Oh WOW!

[link to this post]

There was me drafting a post, went to Preview at about 00:28 and after a bit of faffing saw I had lost internet connection.

Came back up with down and up SNRM at approx. 5dB and hugely improved sync's.

Current 68233/15526Kbps, previous 65702/13958Kbps established only a day or so ago.

HappyBunny on MDWS if anyone wants to take a look.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 68233/15526Kbps @ 600m. (SNRM=5dB?)BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 01:08:35
Print Post

Re: Oh WOW!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nice smile

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 01:16:34
Print Post

Glad to hear that buddy 😊

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Mar-17 08:50:59
Print Post

Nice smile

My stats (tenbyboy2 on MDWS) )are very similar to your's so hopefully I'll see a similar speed increase when the SNRM changes kick in for me!!

-------------------------------------------
BT Infinity 2 Unlimited
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14676...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Mar-17 09:01:04
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

I seem to have the same oddity I was getting up until a few days ago when I accidentally caused a couple of re-syncs. A slight creep upwards on downstream SNRM overnight. Went down again at dawn. With a very slow rise in the underlying one. That went on for a long time, with the upstream doing the same.

Attainable is bang on unchanged. There is definitely some static setting being used for that calculation.

There was no area power cut! I had several lights on in the room with one not far above my head. Not a flicker, never mind a noticeable cut.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 68233/15526Kbps @ 600m. (SNRM=5dB?)BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 14-Mar-17 11:30:08
Print Post

68meg at 600m is mighty impressive.
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 12:37:41
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:

I agree but isnt it a bit sad that in this day in age that 68Mb at 600m is considered so impressive!

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 14-Mar-17 12:52:30
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

It's still more than adequate for the vast majority of households, so no, not sad really.
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 13:20:40
Print Post

Looks like a DSLAM reset to me. The upstream should remain on a 6dB target. The fact it has also dropped to 5dB suggests it's not a DLM thing. The attainable WILL rise with a lower SNRM target, certainly with any Broadcom modem.

A resync is the easiest way to find out. The lower dB DLM profiles remain in place after a resync. I'm pretty confident the line would resync at 6dB.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 13:34:24
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:

To paraphrase an estate agent: Gauge, Gauge, Gauge.

Attenuation is 19dB, which is exceedingly low for 600m. I suspect some fat cable might be being used... possibly even 0.9mm copper.

In comparison, my second line had an attenuation of around 16dB, and was approx 375m from the cabinet. That was quite good performance for the distance, and I occasionally wondered whether that was fatter than the standard 0.5mm

My third, current line has an attenuation of 8.5dB, but is only 100m. I strongly suspect that this is thinner (0.4mm) copper though. If so, it would act like 150m of standard 0.5mm copper.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to