General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mdc
(newbie) Tue 14-Mar-17 20:41:16
Print Post

Help me make OpenReach see reason...

[link to this post]

Essentially, my issue boils down to not being able to order FTTC, when there is no technological or logistical reason why I should not be able to. The line to my property was originally Exchange-only; as part of attempts to fix it previously, it was re-provisioned from a cabinet less than 150m away from the property. That cabinet is Fibre-enabled (a Huawei 288). Unfortunately, the BT Wholesale database was not updated correctly, indicating that the distance to the PCP was the original distance from property to the exchange, thus locking me out of ordering Fibre.

I pushed my provider to clarify and resolve this with BT Wholesale, but it had the opposite effect; the line is now once again reported as EO, despite the fact that multiple engineers have confirmed that the line is connected at Cabinet 2, with separate D and E sides.

All of this happened towards the end of last year, and after contacting them today to give them one last chance to resolve things, we've called it a day. Now, I need to try to get OR to correct their database so I can migrate to a different provider. Any help or advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Tue 14-Mar-17 21:19:46
Print Post

Re: Help me make OpenReach see reason...

[re: mdc] [link to this post]

A clearly worded, brief but to the point, e-mail message highlighting all the relevant facts sent to clive.selley@openreach.co.uk should promote some higher level activity.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 14-Mar-17 21:20:42
Print Post

I'd probably migrate to a decent supplier and then get them to donthe chasing for it to be updated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Mar-17 15:49:20
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

burakkucat's advice is the best course of action to follow.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:03:06
Print Post

Who is your provider right now?

Edit: Seen in the OP's profile he is with Plusnet.

My advice would be to speak to Chris Parr or other members of staff on here/Plusnet forums. They should be able to raise this as a data integrity issue with Openreach's database.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Thu 16-Mar-17 16:09:29)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:13:16
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

It's quite a drastic move to do that, and you will end up paying a lot more for a 'decent supplier'.

There are plenty of capable Plusnet staff on here/their forums who can raise this and provide feedback. I think the biggest issue is getting a staff member to understand the issue, coordinate it with Openreach and then report back to the OP.
Standard User mdc
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:38:57
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
A clearly worded, brief but to the point, e-mail message highlighting all the relevant facts sent to clive.selley@openreach.co.uk should promote some higher level activity.

It seems they're no longer monitoring that e-mail, as I did give that a go towards the end of last year, but to no avail frown I managed to get an automated response and a reference number from an OpenReach form yesterday though, so fingers crossed someone picks up the case this time.
Standard User mdc
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:47:18
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Who is your provider right now?

Edit: Seen in the OP's profile he is with Plusnet.

My advice would be to speak to Chris Parr or other members of staff on here/Plusnet forums. They should be able to raise this as a data integrity issue with Openreach's database.

The bridges with PlusNet are well and truly burnt at this point; they just spent 2 years alternating between implying that I was an idiot, and implying that I was a liar.

It eventually culminated in a senior member of their faults team calling me, 5 days before Christmas last year, and telling me in no uncertain terms that PlusNet will not be fixing the issue, and that they considered the matter closed, regardless of how I felt about it.

The chap then asked why I didn't just move house if this was such a big problem; eventually I decided that explaining to them, yet again, that I'm < 150m away from a FTTC cab, and should - by rights - be getting 80/20, wasn't going to do anything.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:17:23
Print Post

I really would suggest trying a final time with a couple of members of staff who are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Try sending a message to Chris on here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/showprofile.php?Use... and also try posting on the Plusnet forums if you haven't done so already.

Out of interest, what happens if you put in your address here www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome ?
Standard User mdc
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:32:40
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Out of interest, what happens if you put in your address here www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome ?

DSLChecker is down currently, but if I check by address it shows as EO (as expected, originally the entire block was EO); if I pick a different premises with the same post code, it shows FTTC available at 80/20.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to