General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 17:30:34
Print Post

Best ISP for FTTP

[link to this post]

Just happen to look on DSL Checker & noticed that FTTP on Demand has been added & is now available to me.
Any good offers around, any particular isp better than others for FTTP.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 15-Mar-17 17:32:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 17:40:57
Print Post

Re: Best ISP for FTTP

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

FTTP and FTTPoD are not the same financially, with FTTPoD only supplied on 330/30 or higher connection speeds.

FTTP is available from a few ISPs, FTTPoD also few, but is only for people who can already get FTTC.

It is a minimum cost to the ISP of £1100 installation and rental of £1188 per year. Plus wholesale costs and profits for them, plus VAT.

Over 200 metres from the "aggregation point" which tends to be near the FTTC cabinet the installation cost goes up steeply.

All installations also subject to survey and possible extra cost if it's a trick job.

Still interested?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Mar-17 17:41:44)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 20:22:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We will just forget that idea then.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 20:37:29
Print Post

There are a couple of people on the forum looking seriously at it at the moment. Way above my budget!

What speeds do you get at the moment?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Mar-17 06:29:38
Print Post

At present there's just one isp selling Openreach based 330/30 FTTP On demand - www.fluidone.com (you will need to call them up for pricing)

I placed an order with them around mid Feb, had the survey done a couple of days ago and expect to have the service installed in a few weeks.

Its costing me £300 per month on a min 3 year term and £3700 installation costs. After 3 years i can move to a native FTTP service, eg BT Infinity 4 and pay ~ £50 per month for the same 330/30 service or stay with Fluidone and take their cheaper native FTTP packages....hopefully their soon-to-be-released 1000/220 mbps service will be reasonably priced in 3 years time smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 16-Mar-17 06:44:09)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 08:43:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There are a couple of people on the forum looking seriously at it at the moment. Way above my budget!

What speeds do you get at the moment?

Managed to get my line moved due to various issues, presently getting 75/14 up from 14/2 before the move.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 09:09:01
Print Post

Do you need more?
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Thu 16-Mar-17 10:57:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Apart from the price one of the problems with FTTPoD as a service for consumers is the 3 year term.

Ofcom's General Condition 9 requires Communications Providers do not offer consumers a contractual term greater than 24 months. Communications Providers must also offer the option of a contract with a maximum duration of 12 months.

When a CP has a 3 year commitment with BT it effectively prevents them from selling FTTPoD to consumers.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:14:21
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Unless it's a misprint on their website, how do Spectrum Internet offer it on a 2 year term?

I know you could in theory offer a 2 year contract, pricing in the 3rd year hold to term charges, but this is hardly a solution.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:25:39
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

But surely that 3 year term is there in order to pay off all/most of the construction related costs? I'm sure you know laying fibre to a property costs serious money, the other option would be for the CP to pay the full construction costs up front (I imagine it would be £10k at least) but then that would scare off even more potential punters. I prefer paying off the full costs over x years (think of it as a 'mini mortgage') rather than a five figure sum up front.

I don't think many punters are expecting to get FoD installed for £9.99 per month on a min 12 month term with the first 6 months for £4.99 per month and a £500 pre-paid mastercard thrown in. With free installation of course smile

Anyway why did Zen stop selling Fibre On demand? According to a poster FoD-v1 was selling like hot cakes (mainly businesses) and Openreach couldn't keep up with the demand...

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 16-Mar-17 15:26:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to