General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:24:24
Print Post

New AIO cab installation question

[link to this post]

Hello all, my first post so go easy 😀will start with brief explanation of our story then ask some questions.

I stay just on boundary of Glasgow in a smallish private housing estate with 90% of the estate being connected to Barrhead exchange via EO line, our current bb speed is around 1.6mbs. Our estate is a mixture of 2 developers and for some unknown reason some of the estate is connected to cabinet 9 (G53) and the rest of us are on eo lines.

Around October last year openreach started installing a new pcp (now number 53) and fiber cabs. at last we thought, decent Internet, woohoo...that uphoria was short lived as it turns out that this only serves a few streets within the estate, great....

So after several emails to openreach and digital Scotland without any decent info at all I decided to do my own research. I came across the codelook site around December and strangly my postcode was showing as being on pcp 60, which was located a street away, it showed as being in field survey stage....but...no actual cab exists, been round the full estate, nothing except cab 9 and cab 53. I then checked bt openreach and this was also showing as Field Survey.

Around 2 weeks ago I noticed at the entrance to estate some signs for parking restrictions then next day temp lights and some Morrisons utility vans with a digger digging up the pavememt on the corner of parkhouse rd and craigflower rd....mmm, maybe just maybe...low and behold, there is now a brand new AIO cab sitting proudly on the corner, along from cabinet 9. I emailed digital Scotland again but they still cannot confirm if this is for the remaining eo lines in the estate.

The lack of info available is shocking, bt openreach when and where checker now shows is as being in scope, so it's reset back from field survey.

So onto my questions (sorry for going on).

Does anyone know why the codelook site woukd show cabinet number and location without there being a cabinet installed??

If this new AIO cabinet covers my postcode would there be downtime on our lines to connect to it, and if so would bt contact the householders?

Many thanks for any future replys, Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:37:43
Print Post

Re: New AIO cab installation question

[re: LeeAmbo] [link to this post]

Codelook is a resource that needs to be interpreted carefully, and it sounds like a decision has been made to deliver a cabinet 60, but the Openreach public side can and will lag behind

As for confirming, there has been cases of cabinets going in, and objections locally causing a cabinet to be moved, or issues in getting power to a cabinet thus delaying and therefore projects are often reluctant to confirm as no matter how well they qualify statements many people take anything as an absolute promise.

The re-wiring for all in ones is done in a way that should mean no downtime for the phone line.

Better information would be great, and would generate lots more jobs handling the enquiries too, but fear of social media backlashes (which have happened to some teams) means very open and upfront projects have either cut back on jobs or only talk about things once everything is live now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:47:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank for your reply Mrsaffron, I have a couple of additional questions.

How many houses woukd likely be served from a AIO cab? (it's a big cab), I'd say roughly around 200+ houses within the estate are still on eo lines, the street behind me though are on cabinet p9 with again according to codelook and openreach sites are due towards end of year.

My guess, looking at the flow of duct chambers they have installed the AIO at the point where it enters the estate.

Also, are there any speed differences between AIO installs and normal seperate pcp and fiber cab installs? We are about 2+ miles from the exchange.

Thanks again, lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:51:42
Print Post

Until its stood impossible to say, a lot depends on the take-up they predict for the area, which is a black art.

A 100 line cabinet would easily deal with 200 homes at 50% take-up which would be above the national average by some margin, additional cabinets or expansions in future are possible, as is option for another all-in-one deeper into estate.

The fibre from cabinet back to the core network can be 30km long and not give any speed issues, and customer speeds are the same, so the usual how long is phone to the new cabinet is the key thing, not existing distance to exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 11:05:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Guess it's just a waiting game now then, noticed this morning all holes are filled and are awaiting new tarmac, probably a few months I'd say.

I'm at further end way from the cab, about a 5min walk, the last duct chamber in my street is right outside my house, speed wise aslong as I get better than 2mbps then I will be happy.

I will update this if I get more info, will check the OR site weekly to see if any updates.
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Fri 17-Mar-17 14:41:43
Print Post

Interesting. I'm the other side of the city, and our estate (built 1989) is all EO lines as well. Another estate behind us seems to have had EO lines reworked recently, not sure the details.
I understand some of the MPs are doing sterling work on this, putting pressure on the various parties to get these EO lines updated so that fibre services can be used.
So that reminds me - time for a call to my local MP or MSP smile
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 21:38:09
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

Just a quick update, noticed on Friday contractors where out working on the new cab, wasnt openreach van. One guy was working in the cabinet and the other guy in the duct with lengths of cable all over the place, where out on Saturday and today I noticed the ground repairs are all done (new tar). BTS when and where checker still showing as 'in scope' so will keep checking to see if it changes.
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 20:38:57
Print Post

Another update...

The day after my last update the checker started showing "Being Connected" and was showing this right up untill this morning. On the way to work at around 7am I noticed an engineer at the cabinet with laptop etc so stopped and asked if he knew when it was going live, he said he was commissioning it now and usually takes a week or so or untill bt carry out tests.

Came home tonight and the checker is now showing the following..

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

I checked all postcodes for cabinet (including ones right next to it) and they all show the same message.

Would this be due to bt not being finished with tests etc?? Can anyone shed some light on this, thanks.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:15:10
Print Post

Likely be awaiting database updates to show the correct DP's and lengths they are from the new cab.
Standard User LeeAmbo
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:18:55
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Likely be awaiting database updates to show the correct DP's and lengths they are from the new cab.

Cheers mate, here's hoping, only thing that worrys me us I'm at far end of street though not the furthest postcode, any idea of max distance from cab before bt say no due to distance?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to