General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 15:57:18
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 help

[link to this post]

Afternoon gents,

Had infinity 2 installed on the 14th and synced at 78/20 but has been constantly up and down resyncs sometimes 10 times a day but strangely over night it seems to be always fine. Last night in peak times could barely get 25 download Now i understand i am in the supposed 10 day peroid,
The engineer assured me that the line was 'perfect'. Now resynced today at 48/20 my minimum guaranteed should be 55. I'm using the smart hub here is a snapshot of my stats.

https://gyazo.com/a9e379c9926f5274afb8075c17043a1e

the Noise margin before this resync was 23.9 / 6.3 so it seems to have changed drastically does this indicate anything?
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 16:09:48
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 help

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Welcome to the TBB forum!

Hmm, is noise present on your line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, the line should be quiet. It has always been the case that BT Hub's tend to reboot several times a week. The only change to the SNR margin I can see is on the upstream side, this is likely to have dropped due to crosstalk, nothing to be concerned about just annoying as it can affect line rate.

Please could you post the results from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and use the telephone checker as this gives the most accurate result.

Hope this helps.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 18-Mar-17 18:07:47)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 16:16:43
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

No noise is present. The engineer couldn't get the connection on to begin with on install and had to ring to ask for a fibre port change at the cabinet?

the BT speedtest is what ive been using and as currently its running fine for the IP profile it has been set. 48/20

I understand reboots happen but surely 12+ on a daily basis is not right? always seems to happen from 12noon-10pm at night aswell...

I'll monitor speeds later in the evening.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 16:23:08
Print Post

Are you able to post router logs showing the disconnections?
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 17:48:39
Print Post

https://gyazo.com/a6459d31df4664585f048aa2339cdfeb

https://gyazo.com/1df61060c4dd114d2364d02c5e22da81
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 18:07:10
Print Post

Ouch, something has changed! Is the router connected to the master or an extension socket? It may be worth purchasing a 3rd party router that has a Broadcom chipset with access to line stats.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 18-Mar-17 18:08:45)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 18:24:16
Print Post

Plugged straight into master socket phone line not used. only one point where it comes straight into building from the pole.

I'm not willing to go and purchase another modem/router to correct a BT issue to be honest. Will wait to see what lies I hear from the engineer when he turns up on tuesday gonna be interesting.

I find it amazing that BT Support seem to deem it acceptable to provide a connection which drops on average 6 times per day over a 5 day period.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 18:44:57
Print Post

https://gyazo.com/57dbcb57f922d448b9ecea54c8382847

Resynced.....
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 18:52:10
Print Post

Hmm, it's back to where it should be. I am slightly concerned that if the engineer turns up with the Hub connected at that speed then you could receive a hefty call out charge.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 18-Mar-17 18:54:11)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 19:26:30
Print Post

https://gyazo.com/ded66638840121726626b4d663785c12

Just dropped again. lowered the downstreeam slightly with the levels exactly the same?

What on earth is going on..
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 19:33:48
Print Post

Are you sure there is no noise on the quiet line test? If it's silent, then I can only think it's something electrical either in your home or externally. Can you try the test socket behind the master socket and see if it improves?

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 18-Mar-17 19:34:05)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 19:50:00
Print Post

Do you have a neighbour from whom you might borrow a known working home hub ?

(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 19:59:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Why would that make a difference?
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 20:00:22
Print Post

Unfortunately not nearest thing i have is a plusnet hub one but they are locked to plusnet usernames!
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 20:02:44
Print Post

I will give the test socket a go later or tomorrow and report back thanks for the help/suggestions so far William appreciated.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Mar-17 20:04:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdigz7:
Now i understand i am in the supposed 10 day period,

"Supposed" being the operative word. There is not, nor has there ever been, a 10-day training period on FTTC.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66999/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 20:06:39
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The gentleman i spoke to yesterday felt the need to ram this 10 day period down my throat non stop and even though i explained i was under the impression this didnt apply to FTTC he was very argumentative and guaranteed it was.

Fantastic customer service. Problem with your service? Call back after ten days please.

Is what he should have said smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:15:17
Print Post

To prove that the fault the OP is seeing isn't due to a duff 'Smart Hub'.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:17:13
Print Post

I'm afraid I don't know if that router is a combined VDSL modem as well.

If it is, at least you could prove stable sync with it ?

(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:17:48
Print Post

Not a problem. Glad to help.
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:18:34
Print Post

Understood.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:28:02
Print Post

Its just a plusnet branded homehub 5a but unfortunately cant use on BT for some reason.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:55:08
Print Post

I have a mk4 faceplate so i removed the front and used the filter that came with the hub it showed 79.5/20 sync.

obviously this isnt practical so have returned the faceplate

Setup a live BQM to show how stable it is overnight

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/adb34ba1d0d...

Ill check in the morning.

and current Smart Hub stats with sync .

https://gyazo.com/9231644dad16ee6f79595f9b7bd889c9

In regards to the worry of being charged for an engineer visit I'm not worried i explained the issue in depth to the person who booked the engineer and have checked everything which i have control of (Within my property) and if anything is at fault it will be either the Hub , BT's wiring or some sort of fault at the cabinet/exchange. I have all the evidence at hand of the dropouts and low syncs and speeds so if i don't get a good enough response or fix I intend to walk from the contract as they cannot fulfil their end of the agreement.
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 22:01:43
Print Post

The difference between the test socket and master socket is expected, that wouldn't suggest there's a fault with your wiring. Will just have to see what the engineer says.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 22:26:48
Print Post

You CAN just check for sync stability though, just go without PPP.

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sat 18-Mar-17 22:32:17
Print Post

Will give it a try tomorrow thanks for the idea much appreciated.
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 22:35:37
Print Post

Yes, this is something I forgot to say. A VDSL modem will sync up regardless of ISP.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Mar-17 08:19:57
Print Post

Just recalled the bit about the lift and shift at install, I wonder if that's another duff port your circuit has been moved to ? Worth a mention when the engineer comes to visit.

Standard User alidaf
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 08:27:40
Print Post

You may find, as I did, that by walking away to another provider, the problem will follow you.
I also have constant disconnections. Less than I used to after 9 or so Openreach visits, but still enough to be frustrating. I've had ports changed (which ironically increased the disconnections dramatically), ports cleaned, wires re-crimped, wires between the exchange and cabinet replaced but now they just seem to be throttling the connection speed.
I keep a spreadsheet of all the disconnections, which show some pattern with time of day. You can get some info from your router logs. IIRC, the tr069 section has some cryptic information that always coincided with a disconnection for me. Usually something like "CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'"
No matter which ISP you are with, Openreach will only deal with them. I think you would be better sticking it out and getting it resolved by putting pressure on BT to put some pressure on Openreach.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:04:08
Print Post

[re: alidaf] [link to this post]

I agree but the £45 a month they are charging for a connection that constantly disconnects bothers me.

as the graph shows was perfectly stable all night until 7am ish this morning where it disconnected. Strange how the disconnections don't happen overnight eh ?.

Basically at another property on the same cabinet I was with another company albeit they were more expensive than £45 a month but it was max sync max speed no throttling no disconnections 24/7.

I will mention the lift and shift to the engineer but i'm not holding my breath as the engineer who installed called me 2 days later to see if it was still ok and didnt seem quite bothered that it had been up and down constantly.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:24:54
Print Post

Now on the 2nd disconnection of the morning.

https://gyazo.com/36f76a84554c3b3aae6cd1a7b0d8260d
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:28:42
Print Post

Can you check if the system uptime is resetting too? Also, it would be worth plugging in that Plusnet Hub One to see if the problem disappears.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 19-Mar-17 09:30:02)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:32:46
Print Post

Nah system uptime is fine. I will check the plusnet hub at a point where i don't need some sort of internet access.
Standard User alidaf
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:34:00
Print Post

Have you tried creating a spreadsheet to see if there is any pattern, or at what times the highest number of disconnections occurs? For me, the vast majority are at between around 07:00 - 09:00 although I get them in the middle of the night as well.
It will certainly help your case if you can catalogue the disconnections. At least copy and paste the logs from the router as the router will eventually overwrite the older ones.
I have opened a case with Ofcom. I'm just waiting for a letter of deadlock.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:39:51
Print Post

[re: alidaf] [link to this post]

Yes that's a great idea. So far this issue only happens in the day( Could be cynical and say when other people are using the internet in the area?) Everything will be logged and shown to the engineer on Tuesday and if no fault found and they start trying to charge me for a visit and claiming no fault i will go down the route of a complaint with the evidence and most likely migrate to some sort of business level FTTC.

Anyone got any thoughts on Talk Talk Business FTTC?
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:07:21
Print Post

4th Disconnection this morning now lower sync and interleaved.

https://gyazo.com/ddaaf175df87410fe3321b9c8543d30d

Quite pathetic really.
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:09:54
Print Post

Yes, I would guess the line is interleaved but the stats show fast path. Just shows how "not so smart" the Hub is...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:18:38
Print Post

All points to something that is switching on/off especially if the pattern is reproducible each day, so time to turn off things in the home

Without a whole bag of different hardware to test with its hard to say what is going on. Hardware can and does behave differently on different lines due to the many factors and provider support is reluctant to help, so its try out the PlusNet hub one you have and see if sync is stable or a punt on a Broadcom based VDSL2 modem, and if that's stable use it to connect the Smart Hub using its Ethernet WAN port.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:21:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Smart hub doesn't have a WAN port only the FTTP version of the Smart hub allows the 4th WAN port to be used. nothing in the house changes or the room for that matter over the 24h period i have tried and tested power sockets nothing in the home as at fault here.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 11:37:33
Print Post

Just had a text from BT saying ' We have spotted a fault in our broadband network. We don't need access to your home and have cancelled your engineer appointment. We Should have the problem fixed by the 21st, You will receive a text update when its working again.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 11:50:43
Print Post

So after originally telling me there was no problems in the area BTCare are now telling me there has been damage done in the area which is affecting other BT Customers and the fix date is the 21st. Shall have to wait until then.
Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 14:58:49
Print Post

Just to update on this dropped again even while being interleaved.

Sync now 48/20 with more interleaving present.
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:02:18
Print Post

It'd be good if you had a router like a Billion BiPAC 8800AXL that could give us more information on what's going on. If you wish, please could you post the most recent stats from the router? Are you still using the BT Smart Hub or the Plusnet Hub One?

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 19-Mar-17 15:02:43)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:08:15
Print Post

Unfortunately only other device i have is a ECI modem which isnt unlocked.

https://gyazo.com/22b1065ea77e7095718b8a9b6f6b1b4f

https://gyazo.com/2d7b5536d6f593d413abb51a0864a1f9

Still using the Smart Hub as I'm logging all the disconnect times and details to feedback on a complaint if this isn't taken seriously by the support department.

Edited by jdigz7 (Sun 19-Mar-17 15:09:38)

(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:10:03
Print Post

It's pretty obvious there's a fault now, the downstream SNR margin has risen from 6 to 15 dB due to all the disconnects. Let's hope that the engineer does a DLM reset once he's fixed the fault, otherwise you'll have to book a broadband boost engineer...

I've just checked your second link, this is something I've never come across, the Hub is reporting the downstream rate above what is allowed by Openreach, it's definitely the Hub.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 19-Mar-17 15:12:58)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:16:13
Print Post

http://imgur.com/a/JNITk

Is the text I received There is no doubt in my mind that DLM won't be reset and i'll have to call up and argue with support and have one sent out.
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:18:04
Print Post

Haha, I saw that text, but the Hub is definitely dodgy. I would never advise using a BT Smart Hub, I did for a while, returned it and got my money back.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 19-Mar-17 15:18:21)

Standard User jdigz7
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:24:22
Print Post

Unfortunately this is what they supplied me and all i have spare is an ECI modem. Don't fancy buying one to replace their problem as it leaves me more out of pocket than i already taking this service on.

I did try it with the ECI modem briefly and it was still disconnecting so i dont believe it is the hub if im honest.

Where would the best place to find some Talk Talk Business BQM's?

I've fired off an email to the CEO to start that complaints process engineer has left a cable connected to nothing still hangong on the wall flapping about in the wind so thats pretty annoying too.
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 15:52:28
Print Post

The Openreach engineer has been? What did he say?
Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Sun 19-Mar-17 16:07:21
Print Post

I meant on the install.
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 16:16:17
Print Post

Hmm, a swaying line isn't brilliant (not as bad as my line that gets hit by trees every day). LOL.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to