General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:26:00
Print Post

Re: When is FTTC not FTTC? *DELETED*

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:29:02
Print Post

Re: When is FTTC not FTTC?

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

That could be it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User witchunt
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:53:12
Print Post

[re: alidaf] [link to this post]

It's possibly a duff DSLAM port. The router logs show it eventually making a VDSL connection so your line is definitely connected to a FTTC port

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alidaf
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 09:59:17
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
It's possibly a duff DSLAM port. The router logs show it eventually making a VDSL connection so your line is definitely connected to a FTTC port

Could that port be in the exchange, or is it always in the cabinet?
I've had the port changed at least once. After one change my disconnections increased by a factor of 3 for almost a week until Openreach were called out again.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:00:22
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

It's possibly a duff DSLAM port.

I agree there, or maybe a rectified split pair hence the turmoil between ADSL and VDSL signals ?

Which router is the OP using ? can someone else using the same router on FTTC see if the logs look the same please ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:01:14
Print Post

You have FTTC, so the port in question will be in the cabinet.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:01:39
Print Post

It's in the DSLAM cabinet where the VDSL connection is made. It maybe the card is failing , which does happen
Standard User alidaf
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:03:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm using a Sky Q router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Mar-17 10:08:35
Print Post

FTTC will have fibre to the cabinet, there are one or two with a microwave wireless backhaul but makes no difference to the VDSL2 side.

VDSL2 modems are backwards compatible with ADSL/ADSL2+ so when set to auto mode it would not surprise me to see logs trying VDSL2 first, if that fails to then try ADSL2+ modes, which is what the log is telling me.

Maybe the engineer was attempting to explain that maybe there is an issue with the splitters and some ADSL signal is bleeding through and needs that addressing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alidaf
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 12:15:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

One of them said that he replaced a wire between the exchange and cabinet. He had to wait for someone to allow access to the tunnels. Another said that there was a difference in length between two wires between the exchange and cabinet. She used so much jargon in such a short space of time that I was left with shellshock!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to