General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 20:57:06
Print Post

Re: Recurring fault: CRC errors from 4am every couple of day

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

His problem doesn't occur at 4 am.
Standard User DougM
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 21:00:54
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

His BQM shows the same pattern as mine; average latency jumps and packet loss run high from 4am until resync.

-==-
DougM
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 21:27:35
Print Post

I'll report it to AVM too. The more reports they have the better. The attenuation change in my case (37 down to 24) makes me think it could be a firmware issue. I thought attenuation was the one thing that doesn't change (as it's based on distance to the cab) though I may be wrong.

Mine does start at 4am, (as on 3, 5 and 6 March), but also at other times, like the middle of the day too, most notably on the 8th from 10pm (when it wasn't cured by the reconnection the following day at 3am) and then continuous high latency until the 17th at around 5am (reconnection) following significant packet loss throughout the previous day.

I'll be interested to see whether your roll-back cures it. But if it's a firmware incompatibility I'd expect to see a number of other reports emerging as we did with the 7390s uploads. I think Plusnet have a number of Fritz! users, so it ought to show up on their forum..

The annoying thing for me is the on-going stepped throughput reductions, if they continue.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 19-Mar-17 21:38:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DougM
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 22:01:49
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Reported and rolled-back to previous model firmware. I'll report back after a few days.

-==-
DougM
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Mon 20-Mar-17 09:27:32
Print Post

Ugh. Despite no errors being reported on the Fritz! over last 24 hours since last resync and no disturbance showing on BQM, there has been a further resync this morning with a drop in throughput down again to 28Mbps and SNR up to a record 13db.

It definitely seems that somewhere along the line the software has gone awry..

- Anais Nin
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:18:02
Print Post

After our friend the massive errors returned at this morning's 4am event (without resync), after yesterday's clear day, I too did the DSL rollback option on the modem. Interestingly nothing changed apart from the error accumulation disappearing and the reported attainable download speed rose back to the traditional 42Mbps. Have to pray the DLM too will reset in time. As least throughput stays at 27Mbps and hasn't gone down further so far.

AVM now have two sets of data from me, before and after the rollback, so may be when they get around to it they can tell what is happening. IDNet (my ISP) support are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. They've melted. No response.

- Anais Nin
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:29:35
Print Post

I've been running the old firmware for 36 hours and have zero CRC errors. If it remains ~zero after 72 hours then I'd have exceeded the longest uptime using the latest firmware. Beyond that, it's a wait for DLM to respond.

I also noticed my attainable rate jumped back to 48Mbps after the rollback: but that may be down to changes in reporting since the latest firmware matched the banded rate, the previous firmware shows it varying as SNR margin changes.

-==-
DougM
Standard User freeola
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:43:36
Print Post

Nope, the Fritz stats clearly show a loss of tones in the upstream when this problem occurred. AVM did listen (eventually) and fixed this. Since the latest 7390 firmware it's been very stable. Hopefully they can do the same for the 7490.

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:59:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
I've been running the old firmware for 36 hours and have zero CRC errors. If it remains ~zero after 72 hours then I'd have exceeded the longest uptime using the latest firmware. Beyond that, it's a wait for DLM to respond.

I also noticed my attainable rate jumped back to 48Mbps after the rollback: but that may be down to changes in reporting since the latest firmware matched the banded rate, the previous firmware shows it varying as SNR margin changes.

Ah. I had continuous uptime with the 6.80 firmware since it became available, before this problem occurred; and my attainable rate was always dynamic, though my maximum has I think always been banded (though it's supposed not to be according to my ISP sub). Not that it makes much difference in my case!

- Anais Nin
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Tue 21-Mar-17 12:00:40
Print Post

[re: freeola] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by freeola:
Nope, the Fritz stats clearly show a loss of tones in the upstream when this problem occurred. AVM did listen (eventually) and fixed this. Since the latest 7390 firmware it's been very stable. Hopefully they can do the same for the 7490.

Thanks, I may not have noticed as I don't have the upper frequency tones due to my line!

Is the 7390 firmware now publicly available, as I gave up when it was available only to selected users on request and I didn't get any response from AVM? If so, I could change back to the 7390 from the 7490 if the current roll-back of DSL firmware back doesn't sort it.

Anyone know if the 7390 will take a 7490 backup?

- Anais Nin
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to