General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Sun 19-Mar-17 16:52:25
Print Post

Pre-existing fibre

[link to this post]

Hi

We already have BT fibre in our premises from a leased line.

Would we be able to order FTTP over this line?

Bill
Standard User panda
(experienced) Sun 19-Mar-17 17:15:36
Print Post

Re: Pre-existing fibre

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - They use different infrastructure and topology.
Your existing Leased Line fibre will be direct to a PoP for whatever service you have.

FTTC/P services use a 'spreading root' network to ultimately connect to a specific ISP handover point.

Why do you want FTTP if you already have a Leased Line?

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Mar-17 17:28:15
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

LOL
Because it's a heck of a lot faster and cheaper?

(In many cases).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 19-Mar-17 17:28:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User panda
(experienced) Sun 19-Mar-17 18:19:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And no SLAs nor SLGs.

So what would be the cost to the user if there was no service for days/weeks?
LOL.

Eats shoots and leaves.

Edited by panda (Sun 19-Mar-17 18:20:19)

Standard User craski
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 19:09:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Because it's a heck of a lot faster and cheaper?
(In many cases).

Depending on which variant of FTTP you have, the connection can be allowed to drop to 40Mb or 70Mb throughput before it is considered a fault.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Mar-17 19:29:58
Print Post

If the monthly rental prices of Fibre on Demand don't put you off, you could try to get a quote and see what the outcome is.

Michael Chare
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 09:35:59
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thank you for your explanations.

I understand the point about the topology being different for leased lines, but the private circuit does not go down a totally separate physical route.

For example the fibre from my premises ends up in a node a few hundred metres away (500m I believe). At the node it is connected or spliced to another bit of fibre going to the POP which is the BT exchange, possibly with some other equipment in between along the way.

If I ordered FTTPoD they would reuse this 500m or so of fibre and connect it to a splitter in the node. I doubt very much they would dig in an entirely new fibre cable from the node when a servicable one already exists.

That set up would certainly qualify for native FTTP pricing after 3 years - so why not now? The FFTPoD charges are based on the costs of building the circuit from the node to the premises. This part already exists, and we have already paid for it when the fibre was installed in the first place.

So why should we effectively pay again? (Obviously some installation charge is reasonable (but at native FTTP levels.)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Mar-17 09:39:46
Print Post

The path already exists for millions of premises, its the existing duct.

Only way to know what the charge will be is to actually order.

I very much doubt that the node you talk about is actually a splitter or aggregation node for the GPON GEA-FTTP network. Leased line infrastructure does not share the same fibre infrastructure as the GPON networks.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 10:41:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes I can see the point - the node is probably not set up for GPON at the moment.

I suspect it could easily be transformed into one though with a little willpower from the powers that be.

I guess there are thousands of such cases around the country - fibre infrastructure already deployed but unable to be used for standard FTTP.

If I placed a FTTPoD order, then potentially that node would be set up with GPON capability..... is that correct?
Standard User witchunt
(member) Mon 20-Mar-17 10:47:42
Print Post

No, they will build a new splitter node. Depending on where the headend for FTTP is and the network design , the splitter node may be nowhere near the existing fibre network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to