General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:49:07
Print Post

Re: Pre-existing fibre

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

In that case you may want to place a FTTPoD order (assuming its available to you), after the survey is done Openreach should be able to advise you if all/most/any of the existing fibre infrastructure to your property can be used for a native FTTP connection. You will end up paying £250 for the survey if you pull out - you pay nothing up front. In the worst case you might be able to get FTTPoD for a reduced price but until the survey is done no-one can say for sure.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:54:35
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Ethernet circuits and FTTP/FoD aren't interchangeable.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:59:15
Print Post

1000's in a county of over 28,000,000 premises so while important to you, in the big picture its nothing.

Very much doubt the fibre would get reused, or any other elements, only useful part and its the expensive part is the ducting (not the duct itself which is cheap but the fact that a simple route already exists - but then this applies to millions of premises already)

A node would NOT be converted, the FoD order would be done to where the existing aggregation node is.

You can try and force them down the route you want, but by the time its diverged from the usual pattern the extra costs of doing something different will probably eat up any savings.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:01:16
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Thanks, OP may not be in luck then.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:38:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Very much doubt the fibre would get reused, or any other elements, only useful part and its the expensive part is the ducting (not the duct itself which is cheap but the fact that a simple route already exists - but then this applies to millions of premises already)

I'm not sure the millions of premises bit is relevant. We are always told that the most expensive part of deploying fibre is the final run to the premises. It that is already in place, then the install costs should be *considerably* lower and should reflect the other costs of delivering bandwidth down that fibre.

And why do you say the fibre would not be reused?

You can try and force them down the route you want, but by the time its diverged from the usual pattern the extra costs of doing something different will probably eat up any savings.

If only it were possible to have a proper discussion with OR directly about this rather than having to go through some convoluted process through an ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:47:14
Print Post

There are different types of fibre, do you know exactly what specification is installed and what they use for GPON?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 13:09:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not sure what spec exactly we have ... how could I find out?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Mar-17 13:10:06
Print Post

Usually stamped on the cables

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 20-Mar-17 18:24:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bill100:
Thank you for your explanations.

I understand the point about the topology being different for leased lines, but the private circuit does not go down a totally separate physical route.

For example the fibre from my premises ends up in a node a few hundred metres away (500m I believe). At the node it is connected or spliced to another bit of fibre going to the POP which is the BT exchange, possibly with some other equipment in between along the way.

If I ordered FTTPoD they would reuse this 500m or so of fibre and connect it to a splitter in the node. I doubt very much they would dig in an entirely new fibre cable from the node when a servicable one already exists.

That set up would certainly qualify for native FTTP pricing after 3 years - so why not now? The FFTPoD charges are based on the costs of building the circuit from the node to the premises. This part already exists, and we have already paid for it when the fibre was installed in the first place.

So why should we effectively pay again? (Obviously some installation charge is reasonable (but at native FTTP levels.)

They're trying to be more flexible about this sort of thing nowadays and there are ongoing projects to try and see how existing fibres can be re-used. As you say they could just re-use part of the leased line fibre that you have. One thing that I did read recently is that to be re-used the fibre must have been installed after year 2000.

But in all likelihood as it stands at the moment they WON'T re-use some of your leased line fibre.

Edited by Icaras (Mon 20-Mar-17 18:26:51)

Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Tue 21-Mar-17 07:48:07
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Thanks Icarus that's a bit encouraging.

I should say that the current fibre was not actually installed for a leased line. It was originally installed to deliver an ISDN service (after 2000). It was then re-used for a leased line several years later.

So I suspect the only thing holding back a re-use for the purposes of FTTP is a lack of desire and perhaps commercial reasons.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to