It didn't sound right to me - I don't see why FTTP needs a copper pair (certainly no technical reason).
I don't have the time or inclination to argue - especially not with OpenReach.
The fibre has been on the poles since 2014 so another couple of months to wait isn't much.
Here's the timeline for those interested:
* The house has AAISP on a TalkTalk line. I can't have an outage on this, and I don't want limited-bytes FTTP from AAISP. So this stays as-is.
* The house doesn't appear on BT/Zen/etc websites to order ADSL, nor on the "when can I get fibre" website that OpenReach provide - the house is "silver key" category, I'm later told by OpenReach.
* On dslchecker.bt.com, the address appeared as a PostOffice address - "unable to determine broadband availability". It's not a new build and there are phone sockets.
* I had assumed this didn't matter so was checking for FTTP using a neighbouring address. I assumed that Zen would be able to take care of this.
* FTTP goes live a couple of weeks ago - so I try to place an order with Zen. I phone the number as directed as the address doesn't come up online. They guy at Zen says: "if the address doesn't come up, the order will fail". I'm told I need to contact OpenReach myself to correct the address in OpenReach's database.
* Zen won't talk to OR on my behalf. I'm directed to a web form to contact OR.
A week later OR reply - they won't correct the database. I have to order a BT copper line. End of discussion.
* Zen disappointingly won't help. I even asked if they'd manage the copper install for me. So I give in and order copper from BT. If you can't beat the system, then go with the flow. 3 weeks to install, and 12 months of line rental plus install costs to pay.
* The house appears in the OR database for ADSL the day after the order is confirmed, but doesn't show FTTP. I contact OR to ask for WBC-FTTP to be added and they reply within a day - "I've forwarded this to our internal team to get more information and update the records - please wait 28 days".
Edited by nOw2 (Fri 25-Aug-17 09:48:31)