General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Tue 21-Mar-17 17:30:28
Print Post

FTTP delays

[link to this post]

I could cry.

Moved to a house just outside the local town, ADSL is 3Mb on a good day, often syncing at 1.

No FTTC because there's only a few houses on the cabinet. Instead, BT intend to go straight to FTTP. Hurray? There have been FTTP cables and nodes on poles locally since 2014, including one right outside the house.

So I've been watching the BT FTTP page count down for the last four months as the "estimated date to place an FTTP order" went towards 0.

Last week OpenReach were out and inspecting the poles. Very exciting!

Then today I see the estimated date has gone back up to four months.

This is LL57, Bangor, Gwynedd.
We're still on 360p YouTube for now, I guess.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 20:58:06
Print Post

Re: FTTP delays

[re: nOw2] [link to this post]

Similar to our situation:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4523377-sup...

Regards,

Rob
Standard User cymru123
(regular) Tue 21-Mar-17 21:03:16
Print Post

The FTTP estimated timeframes are reset for the next quarter if approaching the end of the current quarter where the previous estimated date was in and where the Openreach system is now estimating a month within that 4 months.

This has also happened here and a few other places, however the build completion date is now for next month (hopefully) even though the MAP API is now showing within 4 months again.

Edited by cymru123 (Tue 21-Mar-17 21:04:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Mar-17 22:10:08
Print Post

Agreed, BT getting FTTP completed is a very slow process, even when its all in place already.

We had all our FibreDP, Manifold and all the fibre cables installed 2011 - 2012, yet we was told fibre wasn't even in my area, even though I spoke to the engineers installing the fibre hardware the week before.

We were finally able to order FTTP end of last year and that was after a five year battle with BT along with our local MP getting involved and then finally sending emails to the CEO of BT Group and the Chairman of BT.

So don't give up it will get done.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Thu 24-Aug-17 19:33:48
Print Post

FTTP is finally available to order!

But ... neither Zen or BT will let me order without a BT line. The house was 'silver' market. There is copper from talk talk for AAISP but that isn't good enough.

It's possible I could have got AAISP to install but their lack of an unlimited package put paid to that. We already use 250GB a month on <3MBit ADSL.

So I've got a 3 week wait for a BT copper line, then have to convince OpenReach to update their database, then I can finally place an order for 330Mbit FTTP.

I think it's important to realise that if the address isn't in dslchecker.bt.com then it's "computer says no" when it comes to ordering.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 24-Aug-17 19:53:34
Print Post

Is your address in the postcode database yet? Openreach update their database daily from the RM postcode database and the OS data.

It's actually possible to order FTTP without an address in the system but the big ISPs won't go out of their way to do this.
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Thu 24-Aug-17 19:59:34
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

The address appeared the day after the order was accepted by BT. No FTTP showing yet but I've got another request in with OR to correct that.

I did try to fight the system. I do respect Zen, I've been with them since 2005, but they really were "computer says no" when I tried to put an order in. So I'm going with the flow and getting the copper installed as OR demands.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 24-Aug-17 21:03:07
Print Post

I'm not sure who told you that you had to install a copper line to get FTTP, that's not correct at all.

Which cabinet are we talking about here? Is it Bangor exchange?

As soon as an area is completed for FTTP, Openreach mark it as RFS and all the checkers update to reflect this. If your property is not showing up as FTTP in the checkers, then it needs to be raised separately with Openreach and Zen can do this without placing an order.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 24-Aug-17 23:16:14
Print Post

Sounds likea load of nonsense to me. Likely the ISP is fobbing you off. There's absolutely no need to have a copper line installed to order FTTP. There's FTTP on many estates that have no copper at all.
If anything you're likely to get stuck with a years line rental.

I don't see how ordering a copper pair will update the database when even the address is wrong. You need to get your ISP to get OpenReach to update the database for your address. Failing that contact OpenReach directly. That will likely be done quicker than waiting for a line to be installed anyway.
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Fri 25-Aug-17 09:43:43
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

It didn't sound right to me - I don't see why FTTP needs a copper pair (certainly no technical reason).

I don't have the time or inclination to argue - especially not with OpenReach.

The fibre has been on the poles since 2014 so another couple of months to wait isn't much.

Here's the timeline for those interested:
* The house has AAISP on a TalkTalk line. I can't have an outage on this, and I don't want limited-bytes FTTP from AAISP. So this stays as-is.
* The house doesn't appear on BT/Zen/etc websites to order ADSL, nor on the "when can I get fibre" website that OpenReach provide - the house is "silver key" category, I'm later told by OpenReach.
* On dslchecker.bt.com, the address appeared as a PostOffice address - "unable to determine broadband availability". It's not a new build and there are phone sockets.
* I had assumed this didn't matter so was checking for FTTP using a neighbouring address. I assumed that Zen would be able to take care of this.
* FTTP goes live a couple of weeks ago - so I try to place an order with Zen. I phone the number as directed as the address doesn't come up online. They guy at Zen says: "if the address doesn't come up, the order will fail". I'm told I need to contact OpenReach myself to correct the address in OpenReach's database.
* Zen won't talk to OR on my behalf. I'm directed to a web form to contact OR.
A week later OR reply - they won't correct the database. I have to order a BT copper line. End of discussion.
* Zen disappointingly won't help. I even asked if they'd manage the copper install for me. So I give in and order copper from BT. If you can't beat the system, then go with the flow. 3 weeks to install, and 12 months of line rental plus install costs to pay.
* The house appears in the OR database for ADSL the day after the order is confirmed, but doesn't show FTTP. I contact OR to ask for WBC-FTTP to be added and they reply within a day - "I've forwarded this to our internal team to get more information and update the records - please wait 28 days".

Edited by nOw2 (Fri 25-Aug-17 09:48:31)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 25-Aug-17 12:31:07
Print Post

Zen are giving you the run around here in my view. There is a dedicated web form for them to complete to find exactly why you cannot get FTTP at the moment.

Who told you at Openreach you had to order a BT copper line?
Standard User dewi
(regular) Fri 25-Aug-17 15:13:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by nOw2:
But ... neither Zen or BT will let me order without a BT line. The house was 'silver' market. There is copper from talk talk for AAISP but that isn't good enough.

That doesn't sound right. I've just ordered FTTP from BT Retail. They said there was a very small chance I might not be able to retain my current telephone number because they'll be provisioning a new fibre voice line and ceasing my existing copper line. FWIW, my existing telephone line and ADSL service are from Zen.
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Sat 14-Oct-17 19:47:24
Print Post

Nearly two months later, constantly trying to progress with OpenReach, I finally get through to someone in the UK who, on the second attempt, finally understands the data problem and fixes it! WBC FTTP showed up on my address yesterday (nobody let me know, I just had to check every day). I have ordered FTTP and it should be installed before the end of the month.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to