General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Martin_D1
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 10:55:40
Print Post

FTTP at my cabinet

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have just had a look at www.dslchecker.bt.com and it is saying FTTP is available is this correct. As I have not seen any work getting done

I know this service is aimed at business But its cool if it is available

Exchange name: Blantyre

Cabinet Number: 12

http://i.imgur.com/VVNYVOs.png

Thank you for the help. smile

Edited by Martin_D1 (Thu 30-Mar-17 11:14:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 11:17:32
Print Post

Re: FTTP at my cabinet

[re: Martin_D1] [link to this post]

FTTPoD is not native FTTP. Nearly all people who can get FTTC can have FTTPoD, but the costs are horrendous for domestic users.

There are only two or three ISPs who will supply it. Openreach charge them at least £1100 installation, and £1188pa rental for the first three years. After which it goes down to FTTP rental prices.

Then you may have a wholesaler in-between Openreach and the ISP, both of them adding a profit margin before you are charged, plus Vat.

Still interested?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:07:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looking at the old v new (current) Openreach pricing for the 330/30 mbps FTTPoD service, does anyone know why OR decided to almost triple the annual rental and almost double the distance based construction charges? If anything, these charges should decrease over time, not increase as the number of fibre aggregation nodes gets bigger and closer to homes/businesses.

Also i believe OR have improved their FTTP/oD deployment methods such as using connectorised fibre links therefore removing the need to install a Customer Splice Point (CSP) outside the customers premises, which again should reduce costs not increase them.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 30-Mar-17 12:10:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:25:56
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Why? To dissuade the many 'walter mitty' types flooding them with requests, i.e. when a company has limited resources you can manage it by increasing the price of a product to dissuade all but those willing to pay any price.

In time perhaps once the race to 95% is over pricing may come down, since more resources freed up and with recruitment more staff available to handle the requests both in planning and implementation

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:40:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To dissuade the many 'walter mitty' types flooding them with requests

Succinctly put Mr.S.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 18:56:14
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I agree with you over FTTPoD rip off of keep increase rental charge, installation charge. That's why many ISP aren't interesting. Only the FTTC or FTTP (if available)

It's a bit scandal to be honest! I think when G.Fast release nationwide then I think FTTPoD will match FTTP price.
Standard User craski
(member) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:06:11
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I think when G.Fast release nationwide then I think FTTPoD will match FTTP price.

Dont see that happening. FTTPoD is always going to be more expensive than an area which only offers FTTP.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Thu 30-Mar-17 19:44:07
Print Post

I can't see that happening. If they dropped FTTPod to the same price as FTTP then too many would order it. As stated above it looks deliberately overpriced so they get away with saying the options there, but expensive enough to deter most from ordering.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 30-Mar-17 19:44:39)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 30-Mar-17 20:33:39
Print Post

Re: FTTP at my cabinet *DELETED*

[re: Martin_D1] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Nightglow
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 30-Mar-17 22:50:14
Print Post

Adsl max Gfast will be deployed where it makes commercial sense for the business to dep[oy it (how national that becomes is a commercial decision) FOD wont be the same as native FTTP otherwise it would be native FTTP and not FOD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to