General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User coffeym
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 20:05:41
Print Post

New build and ordering fibre

[link to this post]

I'm moving to a new build development. Curiously, neighbours are showing on openreach's fibre checkers as being able to get FTTC at speeds of around 50Mbps. When I search on my address, I am offered ADSL only.

I've done a bit of digging and seem to be connected to Bangor exchange, cabinet 80. The postcode is BT19 1HZ. Checking, for example, number 39 shows FTTC available, but checking 45 gives the message that it's connected to a fibre cabinet, but the line might be too long to give superfast speeds. I find this very unlikely, given the speeds available on the same street (and the same cabinet).

I've read other threads where it is suggested that fibre can only be ordered after an initial ADSL order, due to a phone line not being set up at a new build address. Is this likely to be the case? Is there anything I have to do to speed the process along? I'm a bit confused as to how my ADSL installation will transmit data to the checker to allow it to show FTTC as available.

Thanks for any help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Mar-17 20:45:54
Print Post

Re: New build and ordering fibre

[re: coffeym] [link to this post]

Knowing where the new premise is is usually a problem, ordering a phone line on its own will usually resolve things, or a adsl/phone bundle, just make sure provider will let you upgrade while in the minimum term

Other option is a provider who understands the Openreach gold/silver/bronze address issues and will push an order through with a bit more manual owkr.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:16:17
Print Post

As above, once a line is ordered, the checker updates with more accurate data.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 22:25:36
Print Post

when you their address into the wholesale checker and you put yours in are they the same cabinet
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 22:29:23
Print Post

you need to have a phone line -- one you have that your I would order a vdsl service
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:13:11
Print Post

It's perfectly normal for new builds.

I moved to a new build and had the same results from the checker. Once I had a phone line connected the database updated within a few days showing fibre was available.
  Print Thread

Jump to