General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Mon 03-Apr-17 20:27:53
Print Post

Spray paint markings from Openreach on pavement

[link to this post]

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, and is bit of a strange question! Hopefully someone can enlighten me as I couldn't find anything else on the internet.

I am eagerly awaiting fibre at my property. Currently on an EO line so I know it's a fair amount more time/work etc. My postcode is part of the BDUK rollout, Superfast South Yorkshire (SFSY)

Noticed this a few days ago. I saw an Openreach van late at night spraying these markings on the pavement, there's another 2 further down the road. I see nothing on Roadworks.org at the moment however. Any ideas what they mean? Or am I just getting my hopes up for nothing?

If anyone has any insider information, it's on Mosborough exchange (Sheffield) and seems to come and toward cabinet number 14. My postcode is S20 7LY, which according to Codelook is only one of a few properties left on an EO line on Mosborough exchange (Lots of work going on around here changing lots of EO lines to fibre cabinets)

Thank you all.

Image of spray markings

Edited by tomse43 (Mon 03-Apr-17 20:29:31)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Apr-17 21:17:06
Print Post

Re: Spray paint markings from Openreach on pavement

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Its probably for a concrete chamber, but don't quote me on that.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Mon 03-Apr-17 22:17:20
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

I was thinking this too.

Hoping that it's for new ducting to rearrange my current EO line to this cabinet 14.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 10:37:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomse43:

Paul

I was thinking this too.

Hoping that it's for new ducting to rearrange my current EO line to this cabinet 14.

Also I noticed via Google Maps there wasn't any chambers that I could see, so those markings could be for chambers.

Saying that, I am not too sure if you would be moved to cabinet 14, I say this due to it already has around 532 lines on it and it is around +720m from you and there is possibly a closer cabinet to your postcode.

Now cabinets 62 is about 550m from your post code.

So what might happen is they might install a new set of PCP and Fibre cabinets or an AIO cabinet.
This might even move your block of EO Lines to their closes cabinet if possible.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 04-Apr-17 11:11:43)

Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Tue 04-Apr-17 12:52:53
Print Post

Paul

I was thinking this too.

Also I noticed via Google Maps there wasn't any chambers that I could see, so those markings could be for chambers.

Saying that, I am not too sure if you would be moved to cabinet 14, I say this due to it already has around 532 lines on it and it is around +720m from you and there is possibly a closer cabinet to your postcode.

Now cabinets 62 is about 550m from your post code.

So what might happen is they might install a new set of PCP and Fibre cabinets or an AIO cabinet.
This might even move your block of EO Lines to their closes cabinet if possible.

Paul

Surely it would be extremely unlikely that only 16 properties would have an AIO built for them? Wouldn't be cost efficient enough.

The bottom of my road (S20 7JS) was also on an EO line and part of the same BDUK plans as myself. However around October last year they were transferred to the cabinet 62 you mentioned but this never happened to ours so I'm assuming the line goes a different route or something and it wasn't possible.

Hence why i wondered whether cab 14 was a more suitable and cost effective option but as you said it does have a lot of properties passed on it (does have the small PCP extension though) so is also relatively unlikely.

Either way Im not holding out hope but will just have to wait and see.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 15:27:21
Print Post

Well I cannot see them installing an AIO Cabinet for around 16 homes, I assumed there were more postcodes on that EO Block, maybe FTTP, but don't hold your breath.

Like I have said cabinet 14 is too far from you and cabinets 61 and 62 are the two closest cabinets to your postcode EO Block.

I cannot see any other EO Blocks in your area, so I still reckon if you get moved over to an already existing cabinet it would either be 61 or 62, but more chances it will be 62.

Cabinet 61 = ~900m (Google Map Location of Cabinet) assuming the routing is correct.
Cabinet 62 = ~550m (Google Map Location of Cabinet) assuming the routing is correct.

Those distances are from where Google Maps places your postcode, so it might differ.

Its all down to what is cheapest and easiest to upgrade.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Tue 04-Apr-17 16:38:21
Print Post

Well I cannot see them installing an AIO Cabinet for around 16 homes, I assumed there were more postcodes on that EO Block, maybe FTTP, but don't hold your breath.

Like I have said cabinet 14 is too far from you and cabinets 61 and 62 are the two closest cabinets to your postcode EO Block.

I cannot see any other EO Blocks in your area, so I still reckon if you get moved over to an already existing cabinet it would either be 61 or 62, but more chances it will be 62.

Cabinet 61 = ~900m (Google Map Location of Cabinet) assuming the routing is correct.
Cabinet 62 = ~550m (Google Map Location of Cabinet) assuming the routing is correct.

Those distances are from where Google Maps places your postcode, so it might differ.

Its all down to what is cheapest and easiest to upgrade.

Paul

Thank you for doing some research for me, very helpful.

Will just have to wait and see. Typical that every other EO line on the Mosborough exchange is being changed easily except mine.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 17:08:47
Print Post

Thank you for doing some research for me, very helpful.

Will just have to wait and see. Typical that every other EO line on the Mosborough exchange is being changed easily except mine.

Well there are still a few EO Blocks that are still as EO Lines, so yours are not the only ones left.

[EO Block 1]
S20 5JS (1 address)     Might get moved to cabinet 58.
S20 5JU (~21 addresses) Might get moved to cabinet 58.
S20 5JX (~12 addresses) Might get moved to cabinet 58.

[EO Block 6]
S20 6QG (1 address)     Might get moved to cabinet 71.

[EO Block 15]
S20 7PN (~1 address)    Might get moved to cabinet 1 or 2.

Not really checked if those amounts are 100% correct.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to