General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pebbleheed
(learned) Tue 04-Apr-17 18:45:36
Print Post

Fast fibre internet next door but not my house?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Some of you may recall my past issues on here. I moved from Talktalk fibre to BT infinity. BT managed to mess up my order and I was without internet and phone for around 2 months. I got lots of different answers as to why and the whole thing was a lot of stress.

I managed to get BT infinity in the end. My speed is normally 21-22mb/s although today it's 24mb/s. The line is perfect. Nice and reliable and much better than Talktalk.

However....

Several months on and I'm moving house. Weirdly I'm buying the house next door to mine. The house I'm buying is physically connected to my current house and the phone lines go to the same pole.

I called BT to arrange the move and there's a problem. Their system won't allow me to book BT Infinity at my new address. It says the most the line will support is 14-15mb/s at the top end and is only available as 'faster internet'.

The BT staff checked my current address. That's also showing as not having infinity available and the same speeds as next door shows but right now I'm on infinity and I'm connected at 24mb/s.

If I leave my router here and connect next door (the signal reaches but this house will have a new owner soon) I can use the internet at 24mb/s. If I have the line here stopped and move next door I'll only get 14mb/s maximum.

The BT staff said they'd never seen this before. Their manager was also stumped. They've put in a request with openreach to look in to this and said this will take a week or so.

The staff suggested openreach may be able to fix it. He said they may also be able to simply swap the line from this house to next door but he wasn't sure on that 100%. He also warned that it may be the case they have to move me to faster internet and put me on only 14mb/s.

I'm not sure what's going on. The houses are connected. I live on a very small culdesac with 10 houses. All appear to connect to the same telephone pole so I'd expect the same connectivity if all had the same decent line quality.

Anyone ever come across this before?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Apr-17 19:05:00
Print Post

Re: Fast fibre internet next door but not my house?

[re: pebbleheed] [link to this post]

Several things, first thing is to check what the wholesale checkers say

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

Take the address checker option and then enter your postcode, you will get a drop down list of houses and pick your current one and check what it says, then the new home and check what it says. (One real option is BT Infinity is often speed qualified and you cannot order it on slower lines, another may be that there is a waiting list mentioned, which means cabinet is waiting for some upgrade work)

It may be best to screen shot and share with us what it says exactly for the new address, masking out the actual address in the image.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Apr-17 20:02:47
Print Post

Are they saying "Faster Internet" or "Faster Broadband"? Certainly "faster Broadband" is the BT name for FTTC where the forecast speed is 2-15Mbps. If you get greater than 15Mbps then they do not cap it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Apr-17 23:37:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Even on the 'faster broadband' which is a faux product they don't actually cap the speed, its sold as a way of managing average speeds on Infinity 1 and managing consumer expectation

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Wed 05-Apr-17 12:59:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Here are the results from the check.

It's address based because my new house has a disconnected line and no phone number now.

https://ibb.co/nj4BDv

It also says this is a Market B exchange.

Thanks

Edited by pebbleheed (Wed 05-Apr-17 13:00:13)

Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:04:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Are they saying "Faster Internet" or "Faster Broadband"? Certainly "faster Broadband" is the BT name for FTTC where the forecast speed is 2-15Mbps. If you get greater than 15Mbps then they do not cap it.
Yeah he suggested the product showing available to me was the non-Infinity fibre product.

That's fine, except the product I'm on now is Infinity and has never dropped below 21Mb/s. So I don't understand why moving to the house next door is going to lose a product from the availability list.

He also said my current address shows that infinity is not available to me. He was certainly surprised at the speeds I'm currently getting and suggested the only way this was possible is if the engineers 'pushed or forced' infinity on to my line because I complained. Not sure if that's possible, but that's what he suggested?

The service this time on the phone was good, but I'm not overly confident with BT's products. They're great when they get up and running but actually getting them up and running is a nightmare!

I've moved twice. First move left me without internet for months. The second move was a poduct move rather than a home move. Again no product for two months. Now I'm moving again, I'm stressing already they'll cut us off for months or leave us without what we're currently getting next door to where we're buying. It surely shouldn't be this complicated?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:13:58
Print Post

They cannot push or force the service onto your line. You get connected for VDSL2 (FTTC) and the speeds are dictated by what the line can support. The BT Techs can do a little tweaking to improve the physical line but that is all.

You then sign up for Infinity 1/2 and BT will apply a cap to the speeds - 40 and 80 Mbps, however with the Faster Broadband product no cap is applied.

You are just "lucky" and there is a possibility the neighbouring house will have a similar line but not guaranteed.. Do the neighbours have any service at present?

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:15:55
Print Post

What does it say for your address? And also for phone number?

That suggests that next door can get Infinity1 based on the top line 20Mbps.

M H C

Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:26:30
Print Post

The house is empty and the line is present but disconnected.
Standard User pebbleheed
(regular) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
What does it say for your address? And also for phone number?

That suggests that next door can get Infinity1 based on the top line 20Mbps.
Same results as next door. But on the phone the guy sorting my move said I'll only get 14mb/s.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to