General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 11:41:14
Print Post

Fibre and external NTE

[link to this post]

How does this work? Obviously I can't plug into the master socket.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:07:44
Print Post

Re: Fibre and external NTE

[re: agnits] [link to this post]

Assuming you are talking about FTTC/VDSL2, not FTTP, you need an engineer install. The engineer will bypass the master circuitry in the outside box and install an NTE and VDSL2 filter inside the building.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:26:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I thought all fibre orders were engineerless now? The ISPs just send you their "free router" and stuff?

I guess OR must know which properties have external NTEs?

Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:29:02
Print Post

The VDSL2 service may be engineer less (in terms of they don't bring modem to your home) but the phone line install in your case will need an engineer.

Openreach records will reflect premises that have not had an active phone line at them yet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:33:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There used to be an active phone line, the last occupiers had one but not fibre. I've placed an order with an ISP and they are telling me that its all fine. BTOR on twitter have said I def need an internal NTE. :/
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:39:38
Print Post

I agree with Bob, that needs bypassing otherwise you'll have a bridge tap fault on your FTTC service.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 13:47:32
Print Post

So if previous residents had a line, what has happened to the wiring?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User agnits
(learned) Thu 06-Apr-17 14:52:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The internal wiring is just the usual domestic shoddily done extension boxes that I guess are wired into the NTE.

In my last property I just plugged my VDSL modem directly into the BT MK3 faceplate over the master socket.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:10:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by agnits:
The internal wiring is just the usual domestic shoddily done extension boxes that I guess are wired into the NTE.

In my last property I just plugged my VDSL modem directly into the BT MK3 faceplate over the master socket.
Chances are the ISP will send you the hub, and a few filters and away you go. Is the setup perfect, not really, will it work - yes.

If you get the max sync speed it likely will not matter anyway.

What are your estimated speeds?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:17:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

And if not perfect as the wiring in beyond the external NTE resolving is a case of reducing wiring to the point that the closest socket to external NTE is the only wiring connected to the external NTE

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to