General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agnits
(learned) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:38:01
Print Post

Re: Fibre and external NTE

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Range A clean speeds;
High: 80
Low: 75.8

Downstream Handback Threshold: 70.4
Standard User agnits
(learned) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:46:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron

Is there an easy way of working out which extension is the first one in the chain next to the NTE? Both downstairs extensions are about the same distance away and not that close.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:52:51
Print Post

[re: agnits] [link to this post]

If all extension type sockets then the only way is to actually inspect the wiring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User agnits
(learned) Thu 06-Apr-17 17:02:50
Print Post

Yea this is the case.
frown
Standard User agnits
(learned) Tue 11-Apr-17 12:33:33
Print Post

Hi

I had a look at the wiring and I'm pretty sure that the first extension is in the lounge. If I disconnected the correct lot of wires from the block then i'm guessing this would kill the rest of the extensions around the house? I'm guessing this could only be a good thing in terms of connectivity? Also I can remove wire 4?

extension socket
XNTE

I also plugged a phone in and there is a dial tone but the number for the line isn't mine. The previous owners moved to a different area code. Does anyone think this will cause issues when my line is supposed to go live? Or is it a case of my number replaces the current one?

Appreciate any advice as i'm just going off google at the mo.

Dan
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Tue 11-Apr-17 15:23:34
Print Post

If you only have an XNTE and no internal master socket then an engineer will need to disconnect it. An XNTE should never be connected with FTTC. Make sure to share this with any visiting engineer.
Standard User agnits
(learned) Tue 11-Apr-17 15:46:17
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hi John, as far as I'm aware its 'engineerless' install.
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Tue 11-Apr-17 15:53:45
Print Post

As you have no phone line an engineer will need to visit to connect an oscillator to your master socket so they can find your pair at the cabinet. Only the fibre part is "engineer-less". That engineer that comes to connect the phone line will install an internal NTE and disconnect the XNTE.

The "engineer install" involves a whole lot more work including connecting your modem to 1 chosen device and fitting an SSFP (MK4 fingered faceplate). They also test the fibre connection to make sure all is fine.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 11-Apr-17 15:54:44)

Standard User agnits
(learned) Tue 11-Apr-17 16:02:43
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

There is already a line there, albeit previous owners, and for some reason is still active. I did a 17070 and the number was not the one that I have been assigned.
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Tue 11-Apr-17 16:06:50
Print Post

They still need to visit to find which pair is yours at the cabinet. They connect an oscillator in your property which sends a signal down the pair, which they detect at the cabinet. The fact there's a line there shouldn't matter.

It shouldn't be active though. Either the previous owner has left it running or OpenReach has mixed your pair at the cabinet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to