General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Apr-17 22:08:13
Print Post

What did BT do to my line? (Good thing)

[link to this post]

Having been hovering around the 66 mbps range for a few years, it all changed a few days ago. Now the attainable rate jumped to 84 mbps and the sync rate to 79.9 mbps. I'm assuming that BT did something as all I did was update the firmware in my modem (causing a resync).

Text
> vdsl stat
  ---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 79995000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 20000000 bps   DS Attainable Rate      : 84981128 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 23650000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast    DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :        7 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        3  dB   DS actual PSD           :    -5.-8 dB    US actual PSD        :    -5.-7  dB
   NE CRC Count            :     4187       FE CRC Count         :    43652   NE ES Count             :     2858       FE  ES Count         :    34648
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1   ITU Version[0]          : b5004946       ITU Version[1]       : 544e0000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support]    Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE   -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :        4 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 544eb206
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >>
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 09-Apr-17 22:24:48
Print Post

Re: What did BT do to my line? (Good thing)

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

It is potentially the change to a 3dB margin that may have given you the increase.

What I can see though is that your line is not as fast as it could potentially be.

a 7dB attenuation would point to a DS attainable of 90+ Mbps especially with a 3dB margin and possibly over 100Mbps.

Your upstream attenuation is not shown however going by the DS attenuation as a guide, then I would have expected your upstream attainable to be way over 30 and not as low as 23.6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Apr-17 22:43:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Lucky beggar. laugh

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neilll
(regular) Mon 10-Apr-17 16:28:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by boxst:
Having been hovering around the 66 mbps range for a few years, it all changed a few days ago. Now the attainable rate jumped to 84 mbps and the sync rate to 79.9 mbps. I'm assuming that BT did something as all I did was update the firmware in my modem (causing a resync).

You are lucky smile

My Sync has gone from 50.8mb>31387>13096 in just over a year (currently in discussion with my ISP)

The big drop started when OpenReach cut my cable while working on somebody else's further up the street frown

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Fibre Active (FTTC 50.8/11.3)
Check Point SG730
Exchange - Corby (EMCRRBY)
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Mon 10-Apr-17 17:47:44
Print Post

Was the most recent resync triggered by you? If not you've benefited from a DSLAM reboot.
I'm less convinced it's a 3dB SNRM target as the target moves in 1dB increments, not straight to 3dB.
Also: DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >
Your on an ECI cabinet.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 17:50:21
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yes, it was triggered by me. I updated my firmware and had to reboot the modem twice. That always results in a resync (and normally a drop of 5mb or so for a few days).
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Mon 10-Apr-17 17:58:52
Print Post

Possibly a much improved DSL driver, a physical change to the line, or a bad crosstalker cancelled their service. It could be many different reasons really. The next resync will show if it's a permanent change or not.

I can never get my head around the near end/far end stats. The 3dB margin appears next to the US/FE figures, so is that upstream SNRM?
Also for a few days sync 34000+ ES seems very high. How long has the line been synced?

Could you please post back after the next resync with the stats posted above?
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 22:13:38
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Had to turn off the electricity for a while this afternoon (fitting a new socket), when switching back on it still synced at the 84.64 and actual of 79.99.
  Print Thread

Jump to