General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 10:04:25
Print Post

More FTTPoD Areas?

[link to this post]

I have noticed I can now get FTTPoD on the BT Checker, and looking at other addresses in the local area they get the same result.

Has the list of exchanges/cabs offering FTTPoD been expanded?

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Apr-17 10:13:18
Print Post

Re: More FTTPoD Areas?

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

It seemed to be released fairly recently. My exchange now has it. However, hardly anyone offers the service and the few that do seem to only offer it to businesses. Combine that with the cost and contract term and it is beyond most people's reasonable consideration.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 10:51:12
Print Post

All exchanges which support native FTTP now also offer FTTPoD.

Its not cheap and there's currently only 1 ISP offering the Openreach based On Demand product, fluidone.com. There really should be more but I think many ISPs are still reeling from their poor experience dealing with OR when they began selling FoD-v1 back in 2013, such as Gradwell, AAISP and Zen just to name a few. Even relatively simple installs were taking > 12 months. However things have now changed, I believe OR now use connectorised fibre links for FTTP(oD) greatly reducing labour time, ie less need for fibre splicing and no need for a Customer Splice Point (CSP) anymore.

I placed my FTTPoD order with Fluidone in Feb, all but 30m of the route has been laid and tested. My estimated completion date (ECD) is 16th May, touch wood.... smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:24:52
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

100% Certain on that? I am not aware of any native FTTP in the area my headend exchange servers for FTTx

I placed my FTTPoD order with Fluidone in Feb, all but 30m of the route has been laid and tested. My estimated completion date (ECD) is 16th May, touch wood.... smile

From reading the other thread it appears plain sailing thus far...

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:31:31
Print Post

Do you mean all that support FTTC now ...?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:37:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by bookey:
100% Certain on that? I am not aware of any native FTTP in the area my headend exchange servers for FTTx

I believe the majority of the bigger (eg head end) exchanges support FTTP. Its possible your exchange has FTTP feeds from neighbouring areas.

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:42:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you mean all that support FTTC now ...?

The exchange where the fibre from your FTTC cab terminates also has to support FTTP eg
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/nsimd

though Samknows isn't always up to date so you may still be able to order FTTPoD.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 10-Apr-17 11:52:35)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:49:57
Print Post

Totally pointless FTTPoD, it's appeared on the checker for me,on Kingsmead Exchange,Bath, & I'm in a small village only a couple of miles from exchange, & very few peeps can afford it.
Much better if we could have had FTTP instead, at least more ISP's offer packages.

Edited by Nightglow (Mon 10-Apr-17 11:50:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Apr-17 11:53:18
Print Post

I think you are confused. FTTPoD has been shown as available on nearly all FTTC cabinets for years, on exchanges with no known FTTP.

The exchange you just linked to is one of those that has some areas on FTTC and some on FTTP. There are also a few cabinets in the country where end users have a choice of FTTC and native FTTP, as opposed to FTTC and FTTPoD.

I think it highly unlikely that any pure FTTP (cabinet) areas also offer FTTPoD. What would be the point? Why would anyone take a 3-year contract with a minimum 4-figure installation charge and rental of well over £100pm when they can get native FTTP?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 12:13:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
FTTPoD has been shown as available on nearly all FTTC cabinets for years, on exchanges with no known FTTP.

Wrong. Until Jan/Feb of this year the BT/OR checker was definitely NOT showing FTTPoD as available to nearly everyone in an FTTC area. It appears Openreach have now lifted the restriction (probably d/t the high no. of enquiries they received from CPs) and will allow anyone to order it providing they are in an FTTC enabled area and their exchange (or head end exchange) supports it. Hence why on TBB you now get regular posts along the lines of the OP's.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 10-Apr-17 12:50:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to